Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1 
Hyper27

29 Gallon Betta Sorority Tank

I will be starting a 29 Gallon betta sorority tank soon and I just wanted some tips from this forum as I've seen how devoted people are for their fish. I'll start off by saying I was a previous owner of Fancy Goldfish. I had them close to 2 years until all of them died off. It started when I bought 5 from petsmart and put them in the tank. A week later, my bubble eye goldfish got stuck into the filter ( had an aquaclear 20-30), and it died a few weeks later. I added a standard red and black oranda (also from petsmart) in and it had swim bladder, but was doing fine. All was well, until out of stupidity, I added snails I got from school that we were using in our science aquarium project. All the fish got ich, and I threw out the snails and treated the fish with a medication. Things settled down and I added a red capped oranda (petsmart). Everything was fine, until somehow, all the fish acquired swim bladder. After maybe 6 months or so, I added a chocolate oranda (petsmart), that looked sort of like a clown since it had very subtle rings around its eyes. Everything remained good for a while, until all my fish started getting stuck in my filter (was now a 30-50). Fishes started to die as their organs got hurt by the filter (my black moore's eye got damaged, oranda's bodies) and my chocolate oranda died of dropsy. My only fish left was my red orange ryukin. I took action and covered the filter with this aquarium foam It lived for a very long time. Until, I decided to add one last fish, a calico ryukin. It was a little bigger than the red and white one. They started fighting and I had to divide them with a divider. Then, they came down with ich and the calico died. The red and white hung on, until it died. It was quite a saddening experience, how such a small organism can imprint so much on you. It wasn't that we weren't caring for them, we would go out to buy medication every time, change water whenever needed, take time out just for them(in fact, I would research 10+ hours about goldfish in a week, even when my fish were fine). And since then, I wondered how people kept their fish in such good condition.
It has been 3 years since then, and I really want to use my aquarium again. I fell in love with the idea of a female betta sorority, thus coming here to seek assistance on how to start one and maintain one. Enough backstory now! Let's talk about what I need to start a sorority!
I know that female bettas and males cannot live together, however females can by establishing a hierarchy in a good sized tank. I know that bettas need hiding spots, a heater (78-82 F), live plants, and a filter as well as good aeration. I will have gravel in my aquarium and 10 female bettas as it seemed like a good number.
For buying bettas, however, using my past experience, should I not buy from petstores anymore? Rather should I buy from online sources or even here? Additionally, should i keep a quarantine tank so the disease wont spread from one fish to another? Lastly, for the filter, should i keep a sponge cover on the filter to insure no fishes get stuck in it?
Thank you for your time,
Hyper27
Hyper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 
Fishy Mom

Oh you're going to have so much fun with a sorority of that size. I have only ever had smaller sororities, but I'll try to help out with my experience. I keep a qt tank for each girl, but that's because I like live plants in the tank (nothing exotic, just easy to grow low light plants) & if they all get sick I couldn't put the meds directly in the tank. I got my girls from Petco & kept them in qt for a couple of weeks before putting them together just to make sure none were sick. I also keep a sponge over the suction part (I can't remember the name of the part at the moment) of the filter, but I also use it to catch debris too.

There is also a sticky thread about sororities & some others about general care, but I have a feeling you may have read some of them already. ;). Let me know if there is anything else you want to know. I'll try to help.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #3 
Hyper27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
Oh you're going to have so much fun with a sorority of that size. I have only ever had smaller sororities, but I'll try to help out with my experience. I keep a qt tank for each girl, but that's because I like live plants in the tank (nothing exotic, just easy to grow low light plants) & if they all get sick I couldn't put the meds directly in the tank. I got my girls from Petco & kept them in qt for a couple of weeks before putting them together just to make sure none were sick. I also keep a sponge over the suction part (I can't remember the name of the part at the moment) of the filter, but I also use it to catch debris too.

There is also a sticky thread about sororities & some others about general care, but I have a feeling you may have read some of them already. ;). Let me know if there is anything else you want to know. I'll try to help.
Thanks! But I was wondering, is it a good idea to buy 8-10 bettas online at once and have a 10 gallon quarantine tank with running filter and heater? Once I would get the bettas, I would put them in the main tank directly and see if anyone is sick or not. I'm saying this because I have no idea how to quarantine 8-10 bettas at a time... (I do not find pets stores too reliable anymore)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #4 
Crowntails

I think getting some off of Aquabid would be nice. You can get some beauties that you would never see at Petco/Petsmart.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #5 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper27 View Post
Thanks! But I was wondering, is it a good idea to buy 8-10 bettas online at once and have a 10 gallon quarantine tank with running filter and heater? Once I would get the bettas, I would put them in the main tank directly and see if anyone is sick or not. I'm saying this because I have no idea how to quarantine 8-10 bettas at a time... (I do not find pets stores too reliable anymore)
Oh ok. It must be me this week because you're not the first person I've posted an answer to a question that I totally misunderstood. I'll blame it on the cold & sinus congestion I have right now, lol. As for the question (thanks for clarifying) I personally would qt them individually, but maybe someone else has a better option.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #6 
Hyper27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
I think getting some off of Aquabid would be nice. You can get some beauties that you would never see at Petco/Petsmart.
While that is true, I wish to get healthy fish that are at a decent price. I don't think I want to get any from petsmart/ petco as they are generally more stressed out and prone to getting illnesses. Is there anyone here that is a good breeder that sells multiple colors of female bettas?