Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #1 
kimt

Where can I find aquarium sponge?

I want to baffle my filters. I have looked at both petco and petsmart with no luck. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. Anywho, where can I find some. I have two filters that need to be baffled.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Do you want to baffle the intake or the outflow?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 
kimt

I was planning to do the outflow. I want to minimize the surface movement of the water. But now you have raised another question for me. Maybe I need to do both for my elephant ear betta. He is currently in an unfiltered tank as he has a front fin injury and doesn't swim well right now. Do you think the intake might need to be baffled with the extra finnage on the elephant ear? My crowntail doesn't seem to have any problems but the elephant ear does have more finnage. What do you think would be the safest setup for the elephant ear?
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 
eemmais

You can use the plain sponges that they make for tiling and painting. I use one in my filter and it's been fine for about a month now.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Well there are DIY water bottle filter baffles that change the water movement to the side of the tank, instead of all over the tank. I think that is something worth looking into. I did that with my 20g, along with an intake baffle. At one point and time, I did an intake and outflow sponge baffle, but I'm liking the DIY baffle more.

I can't find petsmart's filter sponge, but that's what you want for an outflow sponge baffle. Though I'd suggest the water bottle outflow + sponge intake baffle combo for the least water flow possible.

step-by-step DIY water bottle filter baffle:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Here's a good sponge for intake:http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

What an intake sponge covering looks like cut to size:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote