Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #1 
jibruno

Almost time

Well as some of you already know, i have had a few failed attempts at breeding in the past and over time have gotten better and finally had a few successful spawns. i wont be able to start breeding for another two months and lately i have been asking a lot of questions on here, there not questions that i was too lazy to research but actually quite the opposite. i have done so much research and experimented so much and found so many methods that work or people say work and i like to hear first hand experience from all of you and see what has worked best for you.

so now that i have given you a little background on why iv been so full of these questions lately i will spit out my questions.

1) when conditioning the pair, i usually have my pair in side by side tanks and feed them good quality food for 1-2 weeks. should i have time during the day when i block them from seeing each other, and is 1-2 weeks too long, too short, or just right?

2) when i remove my female(after spawning, and later remove the male (after the fry are free swimming) and move them to a medicated tank, i have heard of using bettafix, methelene blue and other stuff. what is something good to help them recover? (i had a female develop parasites in her "egg pouch" after a spawn)

3) water changes, some people start right away some people wait 2 weeks. i like the method where i gradually fill the tank each day and once it becomes full then i take a portion out each day and replace it. Is there a better method out there or is mine suitable?

4) Grow out tanks, simply when should i move them to a grow out tank? is there a specific time/ age or is it all depending on size?

Im sure ill have a few more questions, but these are a few of the last ones ill be asking, a lot of great people have given me a lot of advice and im sure my upcoming spawn will be successful. Like iv said, i have had successful ones in the past, these questions are merely to toss ideas around and tinker with a few weak spots of my methods.
Thanks!
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibruno View Post
Well as some of you already know, i have had a few failed attempts at breeding in the past and over time have gotten better and finally had a few successful spawns. i wont be able to start breeding for another two months and lately i have been asking a lot of questions on here, there not questions that i was too lazy to research but actually quite the opposite. i have done so much research and experimented so much and found so many methods that work or people say work and i like to hear first hand experience from all of you and see what has worked best for you.

so now that i have given you a little background on why iv been so full of these questions lately i will spit out my questions.

1) when conditioning the pair, i usually have my pair in side by side tanks and feed them good quality food for 1-2 weeks. should i have time during the day when i block them from seeing each other, and is 1-2 weeks too long, too short, or just right?

I personally have had best luck blocking their view from one another (have tried both ways with multiple pairs) - giving them only 10-20 minutes per day to see one another (usually after one of their feeding time). They could become desensitized seeing each other constantly, nothing is really giving them any excitement about one another to think breeding.
Naturally they don't always see one another - their wild versions the males live in a territory alone, females being the nomads will comes and go. So in a since, we're trying to mimic that.

As far as time - 3-14 days is common. You want to give the male a few days (I prefer at least 5) to "beef" up with nutrition/energy. After that it depends on how long it takes the female to become eggy. It could take her days or a week+. To tell if she is eggy, look at her belly before feeding.. if it's large/round then she most likely is carrying ripe eggs. Ideally she should be really round, but not all will become big - my last spawn the female was barely round and they ended up having over 200 fry.
So that will have to come from your gut feeling.. how ready she is.

2) when i remove my female(after spawning, and later remove the male (after the fry are free swimming) and move them to a medicated tank, i have heard of using bettafix, methelene blue and other stuff. what is something good to help them recover? (i had a female develop parasites in her "egg pouch" after a spawn)

Never heard of parasites in an "egg pouch"? They always have internal parasites, just sometimes it flares up which they have medication for. How did you come to the conclusion she got parasites and where is the egg pouch?
Just clean water is all that is needed.. some people use medication, but really with all the stress they just went through, going through harsh treatment isn't something I like to do. I will though add a tiny bit of aquarium salt if the female has bite wounds - just as a preventative. About .5 - 1 teaspoon per gallon. Just leave her in there with it for a couple of days while she recoups then she is removed from the salt. Definitely don't want to use Bettafix.. if you do dilute it greatly as the oil ingredient has potential to coat the labyrinth organ and suffocate them.

3) water changes, some people start right away some people wait 2 weeks. i like the method where i gradually fill the tank each day and once it becomes full then i take a portion out each day and replace it. Is there a better method out there or is mine suitable?

I siphon out the debris on the bottom starting the day I start to feed them. I clean off the bottom and then use a drip system to add new water in continuously. As they get older (about every 5 days) the more water I remove and the quicker the drip goes. Have yet to have deaths with this method.

4) Grow out tanks, simply when should i move them to a grow out tank? is there a specific time/ age or is it all depending on size?

Size, quantity of fry.. about 5mm is a good size, which on average takes about 6 weeks or so to get - sometimes 8, depending upon how much water changes and how much feedings they get (which determines how fast they grow).
If you have an abundance of fry, say a few hundred in a 10g (or less) then you can look into starting to move the bigger ones over at about 6 weeks regardless of size.

Im sure ill have a few more questions, but these are a few of the last ones ill be asking, a lot of great people have given me a lot of advice and im sure my upcoming spawn will be successful. Like iv said, i have had successful ones in the past, these questions are merely to toss ideas around and tinker with a few weak spots of my methods.
Thanks!
Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibruno View Post
well as some of you already know, i have had a few failed attempts at breeding in the past and over time have gotten better and finally had a few successful spawns. I wont be able to start breeding for another two months and lately i have been asking a lot of questions on here, there not questions that i was too lazy to research but actually quite the opposite. I have done so much research and experimented so much and found so many methods that work or people say work and i like to hear first hand experience from all of you and see what has worked best for you.

So now that i have given you a little background on why iv been so full of these questions lately i will spit out my questions.

1) when conditioning the pair, i usually have my pair in side by side tanks and feed them good quality food for 1-2 weeks. Should i have time during the day when i block them from seeing each other, and is 1-2 weeks too long, too short, or just right?

i prefer my bettas not see any bettas during isolation period. Some bettas may become ignorant(?)/not care about others if it sees other bettas but can't get to it. Some may even stress. Isolation will make them more aggrssive and thus ime, easier to breed.

Conditioning period depends on your feeding habits - i feed mine lots of food on a regular basis thus don't need to condition (food related conditioning). In fact, my idea of conditioning is sometimes fasting the female to make her thinner so the male could embrace her (not advised as this will make her weak). So imo you will have to learn to "know" your individual bettas to determine how long they'll need to be conditioned. Generally 2 weeks or longer is good to fatten them up.

2) when i remove my female(after spawning, and later remove the male (after the fry are free swimming) and move them to a medicated tank, i have heard of using bettafix, methelene blue and other stuff. What is something good to help them recover? (i had a female develop parasites in her "egg pouch" after a spawn)

i don't usually use meds. But occasionally when my female gets too beaten up, i use ial and salt or anti fungus meds. I prefer clean water and is usually adequate in most cases.

3) water changes, some people start right away some people wait 2 weeks. I like the method where i gradually fill the tank each day and once it becomes full then i take a portion out each day and replace it. Is there a better method out there or is mine suitable?

basically your method is fine. But for comparison, i do water changes depending on tank size, number of fry, and tank set up. in a 1g regular i do immediate water changes. In a 10g or more, i wait for 5-7 days and do water only siphoning.. But in an aged tank with direct rain i could get away with no water changes until 1 month - rely on what ever rain i get. So again, it comes down to what is most suitable for you.

4) grow out tanks, simply when should i move them to a grow out tank? Is there a specific time/ age or is it all depending on size?

it all depends on tank and fry size, and fry number. In 1g tanks, i move them once they reach 5mm or more, depending on fry count. But in bigger tanks, they may stay there until they reach 15-25mm. As long as you keep up with the needed water changes - which you have to figure out . . . I noticed that though people use the same tap water, water chemistry may differ due to old-new piping. Some demand more changing than others. I, for example, need to do 2-3 times more water changing compared to a neighboring suburb.

im sure ill have a few more questions, but these are a few of the last ones ill be asking, a lot of great people have given me a lot of advice and im sure my upcoming spawn will be successful. Like iv said, i have had successful ones in the past, these questions are merely to toss ideas around and tinker with a few weak spots of my methods.
Thanks!
good luck . . . .
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #4 
jibruno

Thank you both. your advice and experience is greatly appreciated and helped a lot.
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote