Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Advice on converting my 2.5 g?

After reading a lot of the posts about planted tanks and the responses on my other threads, I'm really interested in trying to convert my tank. I have organic soil and I also have sand left over from a 20 g community tank so I think I've got the substrate covered but I don't even know where to begin when it comes to the plants! I have a marimo moss (algae) ball, a jar full of hair grass and the roots of an anubais plant that lost its leaf and may or may not be growing. This is not a great start :( I also was planning on taking some of the java ferns from the 20 g as well. How many more plants/ what kinds of plants are best in a small tank? Im pretty much limited to whatever can be bought at petsmart and petco but even with that tiny selection I'm really not sure what to look at.
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #2 
RomanDulce

In a 2.5 gal I would say less is more anything from 1 to 3 different plants max ! So if you have java ferns with some hair grass and one anubais should look great but don't fill the tank so much the fish has less space to move. Personally I would do some java fern on a nice driftwood or stone and some hair grass. Hope that answered your question. :)
RomanDulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #3 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDulce View Post
In a 2.5 gal I would say less is more anything from 1 to 3 different plants max ! So if you have java ferns with some hair grass and one anubais should look great but don't fill the tank so much the fish has less space to move. Personally I would do some java fern on a nice driftwood or stone and some hair grass. Hope that answered your question. :)
Okay thank you! I'm assuming that with less plants ill need to poke the substrate with a stick more often?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
3k00rb

While we're on topic - does java fern require soil to grow? I'm interesting in using it in my 3 gallon tank but I'm not sure if I would have to convert it to soil.
3k00rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #5 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3k00rb View Post
While we're on topic - does java fern require soil to grow? I'm interesting in using it in my 3 gallon tank but I'm not sure if I would have to convert it to soil.
my java fern is doing fine in sand and ive tied it to rocks and other decorations so i dont think it even needs substrate to grow
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 
RomanDulce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaykittay View Post
my java fern is doing fine in sand and ive tied it to rocks and other decorations so i dont think it even needs substrate to grow
You're right it doesn't, in fact it prefers to cling to rocks and branches in under water
RomanDulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 
Catie79

At Petsmart I was able to get some dwarf hair grass that would look nice in a 2.5 gal so long as you have enough light. Anubias should work. I kept water wisteria in mine, but with very regular trimming to tame it into a nice ball shape. If you can get a hold of some java moss, tie it to some flat rocks for a neat 'carpet' or tie it to some mesh for a moss wall. A moss wall looked great in my 2.5 as a background. I also had a piece of mopani wood with anubias nana petite tied to it, the wisteria bunch, and a pinch of pennywort anchored down to hide the filter. You'll need to trim with a little tank, but it's so easy to make them look lush.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #8 
Fishy Mom

Catie, a moss wall in a 2.5g sounds awesome. Do you have any pics of it?

I hope you don't mind if I follow along Nowaykittah & ask questions in your thread. I have a 2.5g that could be converted too at some point in the future.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #9 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
Catie, a moss wall in a 2.5g sounds awesome. Do you have any pics of it?

I hope you don't mind if I follow along Nowaykittah & ask questions in your thread. I have a 2.5g that could be converted too at some point in the future.
ask away! i would also love to see a picture of a moss wall, a step by step how-to would also be great
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

I have to disagree with Roman - less is not more when it comes to plants! :) I think a moss wall sounds lovely, and they are (theoretically) easy to make - just do a quick google. :) You'll need craft mesh, suction caps, and, of course, moss.

A moss carpet is also a fantastic, low-light way to carpet a tank. :) Google Acumen Aquatics and go to the gallery - she has a moss carpet tank that I have always been jealous of.

I would suggest getting a piece of driftwood to put in the tank and attaching a combination of java fern and anubias to it to create a little jungle.

If you are using organic soil, you also need plenty of fast-growing plants to prevent an ammonia spike as the soil breaks down. Try hornwort, anacharis, wisteria and lacefern. Check out OFL's amazing NPT thread as well (stickied) for detailed instructions and plant recommendations. Floating plants are also great - duckweed may be a pain for us humans, but my bettas love it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote