Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #31 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
save face by not reading the fact that it was a giant/king, and again you saying I have kings/giants like the ones sold at petco says about nill, that would be like buying a crowntail at walmart and expecting to win best in show at a betta show, even though kings are not being shown yet I am willing to say one day they will be, even halfmoons and crowntails were considered junk till a breeder spent a ton of time and money in developing them and setting a standard, kind of like how veiltails the most common of bettas are not shown at all because there is no standard for them.
I have never purchased a fish at Petco or Walmart. WTH are you talking about? I said it wasnt worth 1000 bucks and then you agreed with me. Are you sure Im the guy that needs to save face?

Your words. ".It's is a king/giant butterfly halfmoon fish that is damn near perfect" I never even brought up that it was a giant...you did to justify the price.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 03-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #32 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail0788 View Post
Good lord! I love bettas but for $500-$1000 it better make solid gold fry or at least poop out gold nuggets.
LOL my thoughts precisely.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #33 
nel3

looks like a heated debate here.

i wouldnt pay that much for a fish either, chances are seller's raising a fuss to get attention to the lower priced fish. his other line is normally priced. i dont know if id pay 100 for a fish but if it had the right stuff (pet only) then id be tempted.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #34 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
What do you mean "I might pay that much for one to save me the work/culling of about 10 or so generations of breeding and culling" According to you the fish is priceless, so $500 is a steal! You kind of defeat your own point by saying you would only pay $200 on a priceless fish. You should bid on him now before the opportunity gets past you buddy
Yes he would be priceless if I owned him I would not be selling him hence priceless, has peoples reading comprehension dropped sharply in the past 10 years? To me all of MY fish ARE PRICELESS, I would not sell a single one of them even my mutt veiltails, but I guess to you there is a price on YOUR fish so how much for your favorite?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #35 
logisticsguy

In the end I agree with Stone that he is a terrific starting point for a breeder.

Also that he is worth about 200 bucks.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #36 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Aquastar is known for being ridiculous. As for the first salamander, he is show quality and an amazing fish but $500? That's ignorant to ask for so much. I really do not understand what stone is saying, sorry. And black orchid is not even the best black, too much blue.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #37 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
In the end I agree with Stone that he is a terrific starting point for a breeder.

Also that he is worth about 200 bucks.
See now we have an understanding, he is worth more than a "normal" king/giant if you wanted to develop a line of fish with those traits, and the time saved and the expense you would save with him vs I would guess 6 or so generations of breeding father/daughter then brother/sister breeding would be a big step up I would pay 200 for that, 500 I dunno seems steep but in the end how much money and time would it save you? maybe a breeder can speak up and say how much it costs them to raise a batch of fry, well a big batch of fry, from what I understand the kings/giants cluth size is quite bit bigger than their smaller cousins

Last edited by Stone; 03-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #38 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

King and giants have the same amount of babies, just born larger. 1200 and 500 are too much to pay for a single male however nice. You would never, ever make 1200 back from a spawn, and if you can't find the right female all of those traits (which are all recessive by the way [Hm, ee, black]) are lost. Breeding to f6 costs a ton and by the time you get there fry deformities will go way up. You said earlier something about breeding to f10? That is not possible. They will be so inbred by then that all the fry will be really messed up, if the parents are even fertile. You must outcross at f6 or earlier, once again losing recessive traits if you don't find the right mate.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #39 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
See now we have an understanding, he is worth more than a "normal" king/giant if you wanted to develop a line of fish with those traits, and the time saved and the expense you would save with him vs I would guess 6 or so generations of breeding father/daughter then brother/sister breeding would be a big step up I would pay 200 for that, 500 I dunno seems steep but in the end how much money and time would it save you? maybe a breeder can speak up and say how much it costs them to raise a batch of fry, well a big batch of fry, from what I understand the kings/giants cluth size if quite bit bigger than their smaller cousins
My problem with it is that he and another breeder are charging 2-5 X what they are worth imo. When you convert the value of 1000 USD to Thai Baht and what that will purchase in Thailand it is just ridiculous jmho. If he gets 1000 for it then that really is what its worth. It wont be from me.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #40 
Skyewillow

As far as I know about the IBC:
"Dumbos" and black orchids cannot be shown. Hence, that fish, no matter how nice, would NOT be worth $1200 to me, as a fancier, or as a breeder.

ALSO, to get babies similar to him, you'd have to have a comparable female. Not a Petco "Queen" or "dumbo", and I'm not a betting woman, but I'm willing to wager that he'd charge a similar price for a suitable mate to either of these males. So, would you be willing to pay (in the case of the black EE) $2400 for fish that you can't even show?

I'm not that serious about breeding at this point, and when I do decide to get into that portion of the hobby, it'll be for fish that I can show, alongside my own personal line of combining two of my favorites.

They certainly are very nice fish, just not for those prices.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote