Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #691 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
A lot of babies are females and therefore don't show color til later and maybe won't be as vibrant as a male. They also are sometime the runts of the spawn so are stunted. Stress causes them to show almost no color. I got my second female when she was grey and she's now red with pretty mettalic blue. She's growing verrrrry slowly though compared to my first female baby.
I've thought the same thing about them mostly being female and/or the runts of a spawn, but there is no way to know for sure. I wish we could get more info on the babies from the store because that would help with care immensely.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #692 
GailC

I got this little one today. I'm thinking its a veil tail
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #693 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
I got this little one today. I'm thinking its a veil tail
Awww, so adorable. I love seeing all the pics of the little cuties on this thread.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #694 
Acheron

Hi! It's my first time posting around here (mostly I just lurked to look at the pretty pics...).

I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the pic spammage, but could someone please help me out?

I bought this baby on 2/26 and ever since it's been doing very well (has a 2.5g to itself), and grown a bit.

I'd like very much to name it but I have no clue if it is a boy or a girl... could someone more experienced with babies tell me the gender of this little thing so I can aptly name him/her? : D;

This is the night he/she came home with me...

I'm.... pretty sure that's a beard....?

Best shot I could get of the full body. The fins are mostly flared out.

This is him/her tonight. It's been 11 days since I brought the baby home with me. Hopefully it grew some.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #695 
blu the betta

othercents my betta has the exact same coloring. so i wanted to know if you may update it once in a while?
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #696 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Hi! It's my first time posting around here (mostly I just lurked to look at the pretty pics...).

I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the pic spammage, but could someone please help me out?

I bought this baby on 2/26 and ever since it's been doing very well (has a 2.5g to itself), and grown a bit.

I'd like very much to name it but I have no clue if it is a boy or a girl... could someone more experienced with babies tell me the gender of this little thing so I can aptly name him/her? : D;

This is the night he/she came home with me...

I'm.... pretty sure that's a beard....?

Best shot I could get of the full body. The fins are mostly flared out.

This is him/her tonight. It's been 11 days since I brought the baby home with me. Hopefully it grew some.
That is a male veiltail
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #697 
Hail0788

Here is my baby Mercedes. I've had her for over a month now and she loving being in the tank with the big girls. She also eats the bigger pellets now. Gosh she is growing up so fast.
Attached Images

Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #698 
cnbufford

What do you guys think about the sex of these two? They've been with me for three weeks and are probably more in the juvenile category than anything now. Betta A seems like be a female since there's a small white dot between the ventral and anal fins. If that's true, then A is an aggressive female because it attacked B. Betta B's growth seems stunted; to my eye it's still too small to tell the gender. Determining what B is becomes moreover difficult since its finnage was eaten by A. Insight, anyone?
Betta A

Betta B

Last edited by cnbufford; 03-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.
cnbufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #699 
othercents

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
othercents my betta has the exact same coloring. so i wanted to know if you may update it once in a while?
Certainly. I have only had him/her for 1 day. Just picked up an evolve 2 with some live plants, but need to slow down the flow and quiet down the pump.
othercents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #700 
Dene

Hey guys! My first time posting here. =3 I was out checking out Petsmarts for Bettas today, and decided to check out Petco as well. I don't normally go to Petco because we have 3 Petsmarts and they seem to be better. Anyway, I saw the babies and I am in love. There is one the is iridescent, reminds me of an opal, which is my birthstone. xP I think I'm going to save that little baby.

I have an approximately 2 gallon Critter Keeper set up with a Tetra Whisper 3i filter and a Marineland Heater. The heater is very small and keeps the tank at about 76-78 degrees. I haven't seen it lower than 76 F. The filter I think is too strong, so I might take it out. It has made a huge dent in the sand, so I imagine it would push a baby betta around quite a bit. Would I need an air pump if I did that? I also have an Anubias Nana in there, and plan to grab some Mondo Grass. I don't have gravel, I used PFS.

Basically, any tips you guys have or adjustments for my current set up would be much appreciated. I intend to buy the fish, food (baby brine shrimp and the pellets everyone kept mentioning), and the mondo grass.

P.S. The 2 gal would be temporary, I'm saving up for a 20 gal starter kit and to get my 10 gal up and running (all I have is a tank).

Last edited by Dene; 03-10-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta