Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Frozen foods safe for bettas?

Okay, what are the best high protien foods for a betta who eats (it's not just biting, he's chowing down) his tail?

He was in bad shape when I purchased him, he rallied, is now healthy, but he still tail-bites to the point that he's just got a nub. I know he's not going to stop biting, but I was hoping that maybe I could feed him something that would help to increase growth?

He currently gets NLS pellets
Tried supplementing with betta flakes for variety and freezedried blood worms, but he turns his nose up at both.
Also tried thawed frozen blood worms, and he doesn't like those either. (He actually seemed almost frightened of them, stalking them and checking them out.)

There are several different types of shrimp, beef heart, daphnia, etc at my LFS, but only the brine shrimp and the bloodworms are listed as betta specific. I don't want to ask an uneducated clerk, so I thought I'd come here. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Mostly all frozen fish foods really. :D Just make sure the brand is high quality and it's fish specific. I find BBS to be really high in protein.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Okay, I'm out of the loop on some of the abbreviations, BBS is...baby brine shrimp, maybe? :)

I've been purchasing the regular brine shrimp from Hikari that are "guaranteed to be free of parasites" etc. etc. for another betta who decided he was no longer going to eat pellets, or flakes, or anything else... 9_9 ;) (Not that they're spoiled or anything...), and I know that brand seems to have several other varieties of frozen foods.
Do you know anything about them from a quality standpoint? The other option is the Sally Bay brand? They're cheaper...but they didn't have that no-parasite guarantee...and I figure they're probably fine, but just in case...I've been going with the Hikari, just to be safe. :)
Also, any other rec's for repairing damaged fins? Other than stress coat and high protein food? :) He's just going to eat them again...but I keep hoping he'll start leaving them alone and then he can have a tail! ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yup, baby brine shrimp.
Hikari seems to be the top, or at least better than Francisco Bay. IAL will prevent infection, otherwise warm and clean water. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote