New tank

Not really happy.

Other
othercents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #702 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
Hey guys! My first time posting here. =3 I was out checking out Petsmarts for Bettas today, and decided to check out Petco as well. I don't normally go to Petco because we have 3 Petsmarts and they seem to be better. Anyway, I saw the babies and I am in love. There is one the is iridescent, reminds me of an opal, which is my birthstone. xP I think I'm going to save that little baby.

I have an approximately 2 gallon Critter Keeper set up with a Tetra Whisper 3i filter and a Marineland Heater. The heater is very small and keeps the tank at about 76-78 degrees. I haven't seen it lower than 76 F. The filter I think is too strong, so I might take it out. It has made a huge dent in the sand, so I imagine it would push a baby betta around quite a bit. Would I need an air pump if I did that? I also have an Anubias Nana in there, and plan to grab some Mondo Grass. I don't have gravel, I used PFS.

Basically, any tips you guys have or adjustments for my current set up would be much appreciated. I intend to buy the fish, food (baby brine shrimp and the pellets everyone kept mentioning), and the mondo grass.

P.S. The 2 gal would be temporary, I'm saving up for a 20 gal starter kit and to get my 10 gal up and running (all I have is a tank).
I wouldn't use the filter for a baby, but the rest sounds pretty good. The only thing is I keep the babies water temp at 80 degrees, but I don't know if 78 is ok or not. It might depend on how big/old the baby seems. Maybe someone else could answer if they kept a baby betta at 76-80 degrees if it was ok.

I can't wait to see pics if you take some of your soon to be baby.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #703 
Dene

Thank you! I will be exchanging the Marina (I said Marineland, it's Marina) heater for a different, non-preset one.

I will definitely take pics. =3 You will be asking me to please stop spamming with pics in a little while. xD I really hope my fishy is still there, and I believe its name will be October. Gender neutral, and fits the opal-like coloring.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #704 
Dene

And I can't figure out how to edit my post, even though I was able to edit my other post. -failure-

The thermometer in the tank now reads 82 F. Will the baby be okay is the temp is fluctuating like that, between 76 and 82? I don't think it changes very quickly.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #705 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
And I can't figure out how to edit my post, even though I was able to edit my other post. -failure-

The thermometer in the tank now reads 82 F. Will the baby be okay is the temp is fluctuating like that, between 76 and 82? I don't think it changes very quickly.
Lol, I still have trouble figure how to navigate this site too. I still haven't figured out how to post multiple pics in one comment.

I am overly cautious with the babies so I personally would get an adjustable heater so you won't be worrying about the baby. When I got my first baby I would speed home from work just to check on her. I worried so much the first few weeks, lol. Also, I found the Hakari (spelling?) were great for little ones too. They are like tiny grains of sand & easy for babies to eat.

As for pics spam away. The blue girl in front is my baby all grown up.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #706 
Dene

Awesome, thank you for the tip! I'll grab a new heater, mondo grass, and food at Petsmart and then head to Petco for my fish. xP And pick up pizza on the way home! Yay errands!

That's totally going to be me.
"Hey, want to go to a movie tonight?"
"Oh, I can't, I have to get home to my baby."
"Zoey's right there, what do you mean?"
"Not my human baby, my fish baby."
And everyone's suspicions that I'm completely insane will be confirmed. =3

Your girl is just gorgeous! I'm really hoping for a male though. xP But I wouldn't be too disappointed if he turned out to be a she.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #707 
Fishy Mom

Haha, that is so funny. I am officially a crazy fish lady according to my kids, but they love it too. I've even caught my husband talking to one of the fish too. He pretending like it was nothing, but I knew. He has two favorites right now & I know he talks to them when no one is around.

If you get a boy it will be fun to see his fins grow out. If you get a girl be prepared to have the urge to start a sorority, lol.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #708 
liz26914

So I thought my betta was gnna end up a veil tail but last week splits appeared on his tail literally overnight like a crown tail and then was back to a non split tail d next day. What's going on?! I thought maybe d splits may have been from ripping on a decor but they looked too uniform and tails can't heal overnight, rt?
Attached Images

liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #709 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz26914 View Post
So I thought my betta was gnna end up a veil tail but last week splits appeared on his tail literally overnight like a crown tail and then was back to a non split tail d next day. What's going on?! I thought maybe d splits may have been from ripping on a decor but they looked too uniform and tails can't heal overnight, rt?
Could it possibly be just a growth spurt? I haven't raised a boy baby yet so I have no idea. My girl went through a growth spurt over night. It was amazing.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #710 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by othercents View Post
New tank

Not really happy.

Other
lol, that little not happy face is soooo cute!

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta