Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #41 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Yes he would be priceless if I owned him I would not be selling him hence priceless, has peoples reading comprehension dropped sharply in the past 10 years? To me all of MY fish ARE PRICELESS, I would not sell a single one of them even my mutt veiltails, but I guess to you there is a price on YOUR fish so how much for your favorite?
Okay, point taken about your fishes being priceless to you. I apologize for misunderstanding. But the fact that you, yourself, would start the bidding at $200... that you would only pay $200 for him... and that (as a future breeder) you only MIGHT buy him for $500 despite his "damn perfectness" only proves that you also think he is being overpriced. That's all we are saying. I think most of us agree that it's a stunning fish and there probably aren't many giants, if any, like him. Props to the breeder for getting to a fish like this.

Of course there are crazy people out there that have spare money and would buy a fish at that price, but the rest of us mortals (apparently yourself included) think $500 is a bit of a stretch ^^;
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #42 
Bombalurina

So, basically, we are all agreed that we acknowledge that these fish are stunningly beautiful, well-formed and that the breeder has worked very hard to get them like that, but $500 (or $1200) is a bit much.

So, why were we arguing? :s (Don't answer that, let's not have more debating. :p)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #43 
Option

Definitely a gorgeous one. But not a $500 fish. That said, I'm not sure if I've seen any betta I feel is worth $500....LOL.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #44 
Stone

Yeah we all agree he is worth more than average and that he would be a good starting point for a breeder, it would be just a matter of how much time and effort you wanted to bypass.I agree he is over priced but hell a lot of the fish on aquabid are overpriced especially when you factor in the 35+ bucks for transhipping.That being said I might get one of his 200 dollar fish......I am hoping they do not sell a few more rounds and he drops the prices, one can only hope :)
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #45 
Skyewillow

Every time you buy a fish, you have to factor in "shipping", even if it's driving to the pet store to pick up one of theirs. That's gas in your tank or bus fare, or whichever. And that's simply the price you pay to get a fish that's generally healthier, and better quality than mass produced "Mill" fish. (comparing to puppy/kitten mills there).

I use shipping as a gauge to determine how badly do I want that particular fish. I have no problem paying $35-50 for a fish, but do I want to pay for the shipping on top of that? Sometimes, I find it might be worth it, providing I have something specific in mind.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #46 
registereduser

I am NO EXPERT but the only things about this fish that are close to perfect is the coloring and the form of the fins. Aren't the edges of his fins too raggedy? Isn't his top line not smooth? I think I see a dip near the tail?

I'm talking about the $500 fish in the original post.

Also no bids on it yet and the auction ends tomorrow. How much would any of you pay for it if he went on sale
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #47 
Skyewillow

to be 100% honest, I wouldn't. He's pretty, but not my cup of tea.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #48 
Bombalurina

I think he's beautiful, and if I was going to start breeding, I would honestly lay out a considerable sum for some fish like that. After all, what an amazing genetic kick-start he would give! I would happily pay $100+ for him, not including shipping.

As a pet, I would never buy him, because I think he deserves to make many babies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #49 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I am NO EXPERT but the only things about this fish that are close to perfect is the coloring and the form of the fins. Aren't the edges of his fins too raggedy? Isn't his top line not smooth? I think I see a dip near the tail?

I'm talking about the $500 fish in the original post.

Also no bids on it yet and the auction ends tomorrow. How much would any of you pay for it if he went on sale
+1. The top line is not even that good (I have pet store fish with nicer toplines). The fins are very good however. Color is nice but no where close to perfect, the butterfly pattern bleeds into the white. The raggedy fins are called combtail, and are created by a half moon/crowntail cross. Not sure about the ibc's stance on it, but some people like it and some don't. Not a 500 dollar fish even if you are breeding.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #50 
Stone

There is no IBC standard for kings/giants yet, well I don't think there are I unlike several of the members of this forum won't say a bunch of stuff like it's fact when I don't have a clue if it's true or not. Last I checked there was no category for kings/giants in any fin type. I am sure as they become more popular there will be.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote