Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #21 
misty991

So I need to get a bigger tank, a heater, and a filter? Does that help my fish act normal again?
misty991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #22 
peubanksbarrow

Misty, popular chain pet stores do not educate buyers on the proper care of this kind of fish. Yes, they can live in small spaces and may require little care but it is really only a matter of time before you kill them.

Do read the sticky at the top - it is helpful.
peubanksbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #23 
Haeclark

are you sure you mesuerd the conditioner right? like they said though. 100% changes not good as they need to build up bacteria to neutralize the ammonia and nitrates in tank. This is also why at least a 2.5 gal tank is better, as not so many changes are required! Scrubbing everything each change also not necessary...just swoosh it in old water. Gravel cleans good, but not ness. on every change...every other ok.

fish ok?
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #24 
nav2008

the smallest heater i have seen was for 2 gallons... my males are kept in 2and 2.5 gallons
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #25 
misty991

Can someone tell me how I should change her tank?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #26 
misty991

My betta died today. I am so sad. I buried her under a tree. If I get a new betta, how should I take care of it? What size tank do I use? How much do I feed it? Do I need a heater and a filter?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #27 
Little-Fizz

You should get a minimum 3 gallon tank, You absolutely need a heater, and if the tanks big enough get a filter.

Personally, if I was you I would go spend 40 bucks on a 5 gallon kit that comes with almost everything you need (minus substrate and decorations) And give your bettas the best home possible.

As for feed, I'm not to sure, 3 pellet morning and night sounds about right.

Sorry to hear about your betta.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #28 
Kim

First I would read all about the nitrogen cycle and betta care. Then I would go out and buy a 5.5 gal. tank for about $6, a heater for about $10, and an azoo palm filter or other small filter for about $8. Those are really the basics. You can put whatever kind of light that you want, any regular light from home depot will do, and a tight fitting lid (bettas jump!). As for decorations, all you really need is some smooth gravel, a few silk plants, and a smooth cave of some sort. I said that everything should be smooth because bettas are known for ripping their fins on things. You will also need a water conditioner, and an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate liquid test kits (so you can monitor your cycle). Yes, its costly at first, but after that you won't really need anything for a while.

You can also check craigslist, there are usually some great deals there. :D
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #29 
southafrica1001

Also to add (i dont recall this being put) Dont't do 100% water changes rather do 10-25% changes and dont scrub all the gravel as there is benefical baterica in there (this breaks down ammonia(?)) Changing all the water will restart the cycle so it is possible that there was alot of ammonia in the tank as it was recylcling. Good luck :)
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #30 
Haeclark

AND READ THIS STICKY!!!

You would have saved yourself ALLOT of time and hassle...if you would simple have read this:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17558

Its right on the first page in this Betta Fish section! At the top! Under it is disease trouble shooting as well!

Sometimes you can find the answers to your questions...IF you simply LOOK first ;D many of these questions have been asked allot of times...so a faster response to an already asked question ;D

Good luck with your new fish...hope everything turns out better second time around ;D
[took my sister 3 times before she realized what she was doing wrong :( ]
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote