Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah and I believe there are enough domesticated species of animals out there nowadays that we don't need to keep adding to the list.

Since you keep bringing them up, would you keep a wolf as a pet? Even captive bred wolves need extremely vigilant and experienced owners. But I would have to say that they have the same level of 'domesticity' as the average sugar glider.

Honestly, just do not see why you would want a nocturnal, essentially wild animal as a pet.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #12 
Hadoken Kitty

I want a fox eventually. I'm on the line about wanting kids as my own. This may sound bad, but I think I'd prefer a fox over kids. I hope my boyfriend never sees that I said this. :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #13 
trilobite

"I have never liked the idea of having exotic animals as pets" +1
Dogs were domesticated for a purpose and had certain traits selected for thousands of years. Wild mammals now days are just being caught because "oh its cute and I have a cage and some money"

They are so freaking cute though!
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

+1.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

Is it bad that I want a fox mainly because I legitimately want to have to take the time to care for it? It weird to like an animal that much....?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

What can a fox give you that other pets such as a cat or dog can't? I'm just purely curious. Seems odd to me personally but then again foxes here are pests and the only good fox is a dead fox.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

So: You want sugar gliders protected from the pet trade but foxes dead? What makes them so different? They are both exotic pets.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #18 
trilobite

Foxes in some countries are pests, they eat natives. Just like over here brushtail possums are pests and everyone in nz wants them dead. No one cares much about the introduced ducks or hedgehogs because they mainly keep to their own business.

Hadoken Kitty, Im sure that you could get a little mutt that looks like a fox. Comes with a dogs enthusiasm for humans too and the cuteness of a fox :D
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #19 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
What can a fox give you that other pets such as a cat or dog can't? I'm just purely curious. Seems odd to me personally but then again foxes here are pests and the only good fox is a dead fox.
Well, foxes are actually very smart and good hunters. I've always loved them, and their personalities are really intriguing. I have to be honest, I won't be able to give you that perfect answer that will make it seem like a fox is an alright pet. I don't think everyone should have a fox. I don't want just any wild animal either, and I sure as heck don't want a lot of other animals if I do get a fox. I know that they require a lot of special attention and changes in the lives of their owners. I know that I'd be willing to do this, but I can't say the same about my boyfriend. This is the main reason that it's been an "I want a fox", not an "I'm getting a fox."

Though I have read that there has been some private domestications of foxes in a university that are being sold up north. I really need to find the article on that to back up my info. That sounds a little sketchy without even being able to remember the country. LOL.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #20 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Foxes in some countries are pests, they eat natives. Just like over here brushtail possums are pests and everyone in nz wants them dead. No one cares much about the introduced ducks or hedgehogs because they mainly keep to their own business.

Hadoken Kitty, Im sure that you could get a little mutt that looks like a fox. Comes with a dogs enthusiasm for humans too and the cuteness of a fox :D
I have one! He isn't a mutt, though. He's a papillon. :P