Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Well sugar gliders are native and foxes are extremely destructive here. They kill a lot of our native wildlife.

I was just curious as to what traits would endear someone to the idea of having a fox as a pet.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #22 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I have one! He isn't a mutt, though. He's a papillon. :P
I love papillons! They are my favourite little dog breed
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #23 
Hadoken Kitty

He's about as close to a fox as I could get in a dog breed. Other than a chihuahua. Though I don't really like most chihuahuas, mainly because I don't like most breeds that won't be sociable with other people/creatures.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It is human nature to want to surround itself, care for, or have control over, other creatures, especially those of a rare and exotic nature. Some say this is due to the fact that we are so far removed from nature these days, that we are reaching further and further to bring it into our homes.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #25 
Hadoken Kitty

http://www.domesticfox.com

As you can see, the domestication process has slightly changed their appearance and behavior, but it is still a fox!!! About as close as you can get without saying "I have a wild animal."
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #26 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yes, the domestication process changes their appearance VERY quickly - as in the litter from a captivated fox. The russians did some experiments with foxes.

Domesticated silver fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's wikipedia, but I saw a documentary that talked about the process. It was a documentary on the domestication of dogs.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #27 
trilobite

Its one of my favourite experiments, I'll see if I can find it.
They underwent uber strict selection and by breeding only the friendliest of the foxes they saw a number of other traits appear that we see in other domestic animals like a white markings on the face, floppy ears, curly tails etc as a by product
https://www.americanscientist.org/is...ge=3&css=print
Wish i could find their original report though.

Personally I think having a selectively bred domestic bred fox would be the most responsible way to own one.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #28 
thekinetic

Eeeeeeee hadoken, they're so cute! And in a topic sugar gliders.......cuteness overload! @_@
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #29 
Luimeril

x: i own a suggie....

well. I don't. he's my sister's, but he's bonded more closely to me. he's a little butt. 8I they are NOT easy pets at all. i really wish my sister would get him a buddy and a bigger cage, but since he's not mine, i don't have much of a say.

they require fresh fruits and veggies daily, need vitamin and calcium supplements, some kinda kibble(or that epic wet food i want my sister to get him)...

if you ever see them being sold in Kiosks at the mall, report them. 8I those things are horrid.

i gotta agree with you, LBF. they really shouldn't be pets just anyone can get. :I those kiosks are horrid and promote impulse buys and the poor things suffer due to neglect...

Meeko barks all the time and he's such a lovebug. his nails cause a mild allergic reaction to my skin, but i still let him climb all over me when i feed him. (yes. when i feed him. 8I)
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #30 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It is human nature to want to surround itself, care for, or have control over, other creatures, especially those of a rare and exotic nature. Some say this is due to the fact that we are so far removed from nature these days, that we are reaching further and further to bring it into our homes.
This actually makes a lot of sense.

My thinking is, you're either ok with all animals being kept as pets, or you're against it completely. I definitely believe someone should have the room, knowledge and accommodations for every pet. Most animals need a lot of room. Dogs in particular are one animal that gets substandard care because people think they don't need a lot of room or exercise, and then wonder why their dog acts up or bites or whatever. If you can provide proper care for an animal that has already been domesticated, then do it, even if it's considered taboo. A lot of people who can give animals good care are quick to stand by their guns and not bring an animal into their home because they want the trade to end.. but then that animal suffers as it ends up in a home with someone who has no idea what they're doing. If I had acres upon acres of land and the means to take care of them, I would adopt or buy as many animals as I could, all the while petitioning for people to be required to have an exotic animal license to own them.

I don't know. Maybe it's not the best way to go about it, but I personally just can't turn my back on an animal in need because of my moral beliefs. I don't have the room or certain knowledge, and that's my reasoning why I can't take certain animals into my home. I actually had someone tell me once that they'd rather buy from a petshop than a kill shelter because they don't want their money supporting a kill shelter....... But that doesn't stop the kill shelter, it just kills more animals.

Didn't mean to kind of rant and I hope I didn't come off as rude lol.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote