Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

What is the best filter for bettas?

I'm going to be getting a 10 gallon soon, but I know the filters that come with it are a little pushy. I want to get a filter I can adjust so it won't push my betta around, but it will still do its job. I've heard Aquaclear is good? I think?

What's the best filter that you guys know of? What would you recommend I get, exactly, and about how much is it? Where would I be able to find it?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #2 
kyle89

I like the aqueon filters but idk if the 10 gallon is adjustable and the whisper advanced pf10 is adjustable. I have the whisper 10i adjustable for a 5 gallon an it works nice
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

I know I like the Aqueon ones, but they aren't really adjustable... I'm thinking it may be cheaper to buy a 10 gallon tank and hood separate, and not get a kit that comes with a filter already, since I don't like the ones that come with them. I saw Aquaclear filters at my LFS, so I know they have them... I just don't know what I should buy.

I know for a fact that I want a HOB filter. I do NOT want an internal one, unless I go with a sponge filter. But I'd rather not have to do a sponge filter, since I have no experience with them and have no idea what to do with them.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I love sponge filters. Lots of surface area, controllable flow.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #5 
kyle89

This filter is adjustable http://m.petco.com/product/107131/Te...on-System.aspx
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

Without knowing about the flow issue, I got my first two filters from walmart of all places...They're cheap, being about $10.00, and they're the waterfall type, but they've been great filters.

So, they're not adjustable at all, but they can be baffled SOOO easily with some aquarium sponging. Just cut it to fit the outflow, stuff it in there (top of the sponge in the outflow, bottom of the sponge hanging out into the tank and *into the water*), and close the lid. The lid holds the sponge in place, and cuts the outflow/current down to 0. Seirously, there is NO water movement once you've sponged it. (This tip is from someone else on this forum, I'm wanted to give credit, but I'm not sure who it was, but it was a fabulous idea whoever came up with it!)

And the sponging doesn't hurt the filter at all. I've had two going for a year now, and two others for the last few months, no ill-effects to the motor or anything else. I think it's because the sponge doesn't stop the outflow, it just absorbs it and allows it to soak into the water instead of letting it fall. So the filter flow isn't being affected, just how it the water exits the filter.
Plus I love the additional surface area for cycling. :)

Oh, and this 5-15 gallon sized filter with the additional sponging for the outflow and the intake can easily accomodate a good cycle on a 20 gallon divided with two fish and a billion or so snails. (The snails were an accident...) ;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote