Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 
katmandew

Question location of air pump

I ordered an air pump and LED color changing light strip/bubbler for my new 28 gallon tank. After reading the instructions for the air pump it said to position the air pump above the water level of the tank on a shelf (not directly above the tank). I had planned on placing this on a shelf of the aquarium stand which of course is below the tank. If I'm using a check valve do I really need to have this above the tank? I would really hate to hang a shelf on the wall just to set the air pump, it would really look out of place in my living room. Any thoughts?
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 
sarahspins

I would run two check valves.. one near the rim of the tank, and another close to the pump, but as long as you integrate a safety loop in your cord and know that back flow is a risk even with check valves there's no reason you "can't" put it under your tank.

Also, if you ever notice water has made it "past" a check valve you should consider that one failed and replace it :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #3 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I would run two check valves.. one near the rim of the tank, and another close to the pump, but as long as you integrate a safety loop in your cord and know that back flow is a risk even with check valves there's no reason you "can't" put it under your tank.

Also, if you ever notice water has made it "past" a check valve you should consider that one failed and replace it :)
Ok yes I will try two check valves and I have my surge protector already mounted on the wall about a foot away from the tank/stand so I have drip loops for all the cords, and since the receptacle is directly behind my set up I have the surge protector plugged into a GFCI shock buster outlet adaptor.

This is my first air pump so not sure how to tell if water is past the check valve. Could you elaborate on that for me? I want to do things right to avoid any type of electrical fires or melt downs but if it MUST be higher than the tank I think I'll have to send it back which would be a bummer but I just can't see putting a shelf on the wall just for an air pump :)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #4 
waterdog

If you use a check valve you should be fine. If for any reason it should fail, which is unlikely, you would see water coming out of the pump. Again, unlikely!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #5 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
If you use a check valve you should be fine. If for any reason it should fail, which is unlikely, you would see water coming out of the pump. Again, unlikely!
Thank you. I guess I will move forward with getting it set up. I plan on only having it on when I'm at home so I'll be able to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmandew View Post
I ordered an air pump and LED color changing light strip/bubbler for my new 28 gallon tank. After reading the instructions for the air pump it said to position the air pump above the water level of the tank on a shelf (not directly above the tank). I had planned on placing this on a shelf of the aquarium stand which of course is below the tank. If I'm using a check valve do I really need to have this above the tank? I would really hate to hang a shelf on the wall just to set the air pump, it would really look out of place in my living room. Any thoughts?

You will need a check valve to stop the back flow due to siphoning action in case of power outage if you cannot place the pump above the water level of the tank.

I found this one from Petco really good because it has a built-in check valve, and 2 valves for 2 items, with a control valve to control the strength of the air. I have one and I love it, it is cheaper than getting all the parts to accomplish air flow control and back flow control.

The check valve is at the bottom, the black knobs are the control valves.

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_...443147559E.jpg
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #7 
katmandew

Nice! wish I had seen that before I bought everything separately! I will look into it though just in case thanks :)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #8 
Option

This thread raises a couple questions I've always wondered..... Just how often does back-siphoning actually occur? And just how effective/reliable are those small check valves at the LFS? (cuz some look very small & dinky!)
Option is offline   Reply With Quote