Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #11 
osromatra

I have 3 mollies, a male and 2 females. I have a black (male), a spotted (female), and a silver. The silver is most "dominant" yet she never nips my betta. The spotted is the most subordinate, and she nips A LOT. The male, I have caught him nipping maybe twice, he mostly does it when the betta's tail is in the way during feeding, so I minimize it by feeding them separately. The spotted one, I considered taking her back to the store, but she is my daughter's fish, and this tank was their present from santa. Before giving anyone back or getting a new tank, I'm trying more cover, so I'm ordering more plants and driftwood.

Any fry they have will nip too, starting around 2 months of age, IME. They are the worst nippers, as they semi-school and it's like a game to them to pick at his tail. I sequestered them to a small kritter keeper and plan to bring them to the fish store and donate them, but they told I had to wait til they were 3 months old first. One.more.month.

It's also very important to sex your mollies accurately. If there is indeed one female, this is a very bad set-up. You need 2 females for every male, or the males will harass her to stress/death.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #12 
Vendria

Yeah I am watching it closely. The males still have yellow on their tails and the female is bigger than all 3 of them. She has no yellow or color left on her. She is silvering on the side. She seems to be quite abit older and will nip at them if they get too roudy.

I'd rather not take any back so im watching them for now.
Vendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #13 
Shadyr

Oh, I see you have a fish loving cat too!

Name:  catfish1280.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  38.2 KB

And that's a 36 gallon
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #14 
Vendria

Love that picture of the cat and tank!! :)

Everything is going well in my tank. Got a few ghost shrimp to clean up and the betta ate the small ones. Only the "large" ones left and the betta likes stalking them. Quite cute.

The Mollies are really active and beg for food and are alot of fun. The female doesn't get too much attention and shes all good, alibeit preggers.

All the male mollies are sailfins, (just found this out) and she is not. Shes about 1/2in - 1in bigger than the mails and the mails still have yellow on their sails. Old boss lady rules the roost!
Vendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #15 
xShainax

Aww fat kitty. :D
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #16 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Aww fat kitty. :D
Hey! He's not fat, he's just big-furred! Well, he's just a big kitty. Maybe he has Norwegian Forest Cat or Maine Coone in his family tree somewhere.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote