Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

still no photo but you might want to pick up Furan 2 from petsmart. Petco does not have any real medicine
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #12 
thekath

You'd think a college student could handle something like this... Sorry about all of the photo problems. Let's see if this one works.
Attached Images

thekath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #13 
thekath

And yeah, I hate PetCo. I have an independently owned pet store I like. I haven't found a lfs yet.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #14 
callistra

Yeah I would go with the meds I suggested.. also I would NOT add a heater at this time. Columnaris responds to higher temps and it will only speed up the disease process.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #15 
thekath

Ok! Is there a better way to remove the heater than just taking it out?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #16 
callistra

No, but since like I said before your betta shouldn't be in the water while the heater is heating up it shouldn't be an issue.. yes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #17 
thekath

Yeah but the heater shut off after about 20 minutes. It's a girl's dorm, the room temperature is comfortably in the high 70's. He's been in the cup in the tank for nearly 30 minutes. I've been spooning warm water into the cup every couple minutes.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #18 
thekath

Update: After spending overnight in the 1 teaspoon API Aquarium Salt in 1/2 gallon of water, the fish already looks markedly better. I built a small hammock out of a styrofoam bowl (cut in half) which I duct-taped to the side of the tank. I know Betta's like to be close to the surface and I thought this would be a little easier since the fish is missing almost all of its fins. The fish likes to swim in there to float for a few hours at a time. I tried feeding some betta food which a friend let me try but the fish was uninterested. Thinking about picking up some bloodworms or something a little more tempting.
I plan on continuing the API Aquarium Salt treatment for a few more days to see if improvement continues. If not, I will use medication.

Additionally, I hope I didn't misrepresent my local pet store. They keep very good care of the small stock of fish they sell. I love that place and I have never had a problem with any fish or aquatic plant. They staff is very knowledgeable. The other Betta fish all looked very healthy. Most are kept in actual tanks with other small tropical fish. This guy was out in a cup, probably because they just received him and noticed his illness. I just kind of fell for him. I didn't rescue him from the store, I am trying to rescue him from illness. I hope I didn't offend anyone by making it seem as though I want to support the mistreatment of fish. I know my responsibility as a buyer.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #19 
Skyewillow

I really wouldn't stress about that, thekath, a lot of us (myself included) pity purchase sick fish, and they're from stores with bad care policies. I brought home 6 sickly walmart bettas last month. As long as there's a mass of uninformed (or people who just don't care) buying them, there's not much we can do outside of educate and/or boycott. And while boycotting would make a bigger impact, people like me can't sit there and just let them die.

It sounds like he's off to a good start with you, hopefully you can get him patched up. And great thinking on the hammock, it'll make things easier on him in the long run. ^_^
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #20 
thekath

Update: I came back from class this morning to do a water change and unfortunately the poor little guy had passed. It is a little disappointing. There was no white on his body and his fins had gained a lot of color in the past day. I tested the params after his death and everything was fine. He hadn't ever eaten anything, so maybe it was all just a little too stressful for him. Thanks everyone for your advice. If nothing else, I think with your help I made a sick little guy a little bit better.

Tags
fin rot damage, quarantine tank, rescue betta