Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #711 
othercents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
lol, that little not happy face is soooo cute!
Thanks....

I had shutoff the pump because there was too much flow and he/she was all over the place. Over lunch I put some filterfloss into the pipe and was able to slow down the flow to keep the pump on, however now it is too slow and it is still too cold. Hopefully I can get everything tuned tonight along with an adjustable heater, so that there is just enough flow and heat to make the filter usable and keep the betta happy.

At this point Mr/Mrs Betta is swimming and eating just fine. Likes to sit on top of the return pipe.
othercents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #712 
JBonez423

I'm compelled to buy the babies, simply because I feel really bad for them. I feel like they're much more fragile than the adults, and the adults actually go quicker here because the babies are sold very young (they look to be much younger than the ones posted in this thread, only half an inch in length) & therefore are pretty much colorless. They're almost invisible in the little cups they're kept in.

I was going to buy a big, flashy male, but I decided to go for the baby. Not only did I feel bad, but I liked the idea of not knowing the gender or type, so I went for it. I'm glad I did. Two weeks later, he (I'm pretty sure he's a male) has been super healthy and active, has more than doubled in size and is a vibrant royal blue:

Floyd:

Name:  602700_518751441509200_245735511_n.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  44.1 KB

Today I went and got another baby. I swear, they were even tinier than last time! I went for the smallest one there, who looks marbled. I'm interested in how it's coloring is going to turn out.

Cali:

Name:  DSCN2115.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  64.6 KB

Already it's pretty active, doing very well and curiously examining everything. Comes right up to the bowl when I check it out.

Anyway, I have to say I really love the baby betta experience. In my opinion, the less time they spend in teeny little cups, the better!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #713 
aemaki09

CALI IS GORGEOUS!! I mean, so is Floyd, Cali just looks sooo different!
I'm jealous

Goodluck with them
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #714 
JBonez423

Thanks! I truly feel I got lucky with him/her! I've never seen a betta like that in Petco! I can't wait to see how its coloring turns out.

The betta in your pic is wicked cool, btw!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #715 
JBonez423

Morning Update on my Baby Bettas

Just thought I'd give an update and upload some new pics! Cali is so spunky! I swear he dances for the camera, and his fins may have already grown since I got him yesterday! Either that or they just unfurled more or something. Already his fins are exhibiting some red color, I am so excited to see how he turns out. Anyway, I put the bowls side by side, since they'll be sharing a divided tank, and they're fascinated by each other.

Name:  DSCN2121.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  DSCN2120.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  39.0 KB

Floyd seems to be developing a black head, too! He's definitely becoming quite the handsome fish. He's not as photogenic, though, and hides as soon as the little red light trains itself on him. I think it's a game, because he never hides, just zooms back and forth. Hopefully my big tank will have better lighting so I don't have to use the flash, I hate how it washes his color out to turquoise.

Name:  DSCN2136.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  DSCN2129.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  31.3 KB

They both have really long ventral fins for how small they are, so I'm thinking they'll both end up males, but only time will tell! Once I get their big tank, I'm getting an adult betta for my grandma. Can't wait! I've officially been bitten by the betta bug... uh oh.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #716 
Tabbie82

They are looking good! Sounds like you have decided Cali is a male? Uh oh is right! If you've been bit by the bug, you and your checkbook are in serious trouble! That bug bites too easily.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #717 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
They are looking good! Sounds like you have decided Cali is a male? Uh oh is right! If you've been bit by the bug, you and your checkbook are in serious trouble! That bug bites too easily.
Thanks! ^.^ I'm really starting to wonder if he is! Lol I may have to resign myself to him being male,(I was considering breeding when they got older, especially if the marbling is really cool) but he's only really 4 weeks old, maybe 5 weeks, so I guess we'll see! I swear his anal fins doubled in length overnight, though. His ventral fins are skinny, but that could just be age. Floyd has got rather thick looking ventral fins, I'm almost sure he's male. Arrrgh, I wish there was a definite way to tell when they're babies. I am so not a patient person.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #718 
Tabbie82

I'm with you on not being patient! It's funny, because I like the idea of not knowing what you are getting with a baby, but I also would want to know as soon as I have them at home what they are!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #719 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
I'm with you on not being patient! It's funny, because I like the idea of not knowing what you are getting with a baby, but I also would want to know as soon as I have them at home what they are!
That's exactly how I feel! Haha type-wise, too! I'm thinking (well, hoping) they're crowntails. I thought they'd pretty much all be veiltails, but the guy at Petco assured me it was a totally mixed bag, even when I told him I was going to buy it anyway. So here's hoping something cool comes out!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #720 
Tabbie82

Definitely keep us updated, because I want to see how they grow up and what they are. I'm getting my baby betta fix vicariously through this forum! Saves me money and sanity!

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta