Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #11 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
I did get a rooted plant (lutea) but it die within two day! when i told the guy at the store, i was told it was because of my ammonia :(
From what I've read, in order for ammonia to be high enough to kill plants, it would have to be at a level that would have killed your fish, so that doesn't sound right. And if you are using Prime, it would have converted the ammonia into ammonium, which the plants actually use as food. At lower pH levels, there is naturally a higher ratio of ammonium to ammonia- unfortunately, most tests read both ammonia and ammonium as ammonia. Ammonium is not toxic to fish or plants. The only test that distinguishes between the two is the Seachem one, and I've yet to see it in a store.

It is possible that the plant didn't actually die. Crypts (lutea) often melt when they are first moved and replanted- they can take as long as two weeks to become healthy again.

If you want a rooted plant that will take off from the very beginning and suck up nutrients, try an Amazon sword- they're really hard to kill. It is, however, a plant that will quickly take over a 10 gallon- I have to prune mine about once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
Should i get a food when i get the plants, give them a little food when i plant them? Should i just stick them in?

I am going to go in search of hornwort. . .
The hornwort won't require any food. For other plants, I like to use Seachem's Flourish comprehensive- it adds nutrients to the water column. Some people use root tabs for rooted plants, but I never did and my swords and cabomba did great.

What is your lighting? You want to make sure to get the right plants for the lighting you have. Low light plants will do okay with incandescent bulbs, but for more options and faster growth I recommend 6500K daylight bulbs. I got two screw-in bulbs at Lowes for $8.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #12 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post

It is possible that the plant didn't actually die. Crypts (lutea) often melt when they are first moved and replanted- they can take as long as two weeks to become healthy again.

Bummer, it did look like it "melted" Oops! at least now i know !...

My Boy looks happier in his smaller bowl. I'm really thinking about getting a little 2.5 putting a lot of live plants in it and giving it to my guy, He's still in QT and his tail isnt looking much better (not worse) but not better. I'm thinking he might like a compley still live planted tank.

then i would move my feisty girl to the 10G...

do you think it would make him sad to go from a 10 to a 2.5 or 3G or do some like the smaller tanks. I'm just trying to find what suits him best, He's a picky little bugger!

Now, will playing musical fish mess with the cycling i'm trying to do?
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote