Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 
Agility4fun

Post fin rot issues for plants

Sadly my son's fish passed today because of his heater failing while recovering from fin rot. Do I need to do anything with the plants, other than a rinse with clean water? I just removed the fish and know I need to rinse the entire tank , but I can't really do it now. Can I keep the tanks as is to sustain the plants?

Thanks
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 
Picasso84

I would think so, at least until u can get to cleaning everything and/or get a more knowledgable person's advice :) sorry that I'm not much help, I'm just beginning to research NPT's myself
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 
Agility4fun

Thanks Picasso.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....

If this was an established tank-all I would do is make a 50% water change with vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots. If you used any kind of medication-I would do a couple of 50% water only for a few days too-this is to get any of the medications out.

If this is an established planted tank-I wouldn't tear it down-just water changes and to maintain it without a Betta-just plants-stay on your 10-12h/day photoperiod to support plant growth/photosynthesis and make partial water changes every couple of weeks or if you use any ferts-make partial WC before you add them. Then make a 50% before you add another Betta after proper acclimation.

Once the tank is running without any livestock-the organics will hold the cycle if this was an established tank to start with and/or it will start to cycle-whatever the case may be. Anything organic like plants, shrimp, snails, normal bacteria..etc....will produce the needed byproduct for beneficial bacteria.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry for your loss....

If this was an established tank-all I would do is make a 50% water change with vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots. If you used any kind of medication-I would do a couple of 50% water only for a few days too-this is to get any of the medications out.

If this is an established planted tank-I wouldn't tear it down-just water changes and to maintain it without a Betta-just plants-stay on your 10-12h/day photoperiod to support plant growth/photosynthesis and make partial water changes every couple of weeks or if you use any ferts-make partial WC before you add them. Then make a 50% before you add another Betta after proper acclimation.

Once the tank is running without any livestock-the organics will hold the cycle if this was an established tank to start with and/or it will start to cycle-whatever the case may be. Anything organic like plants, shrimp, snails, normal bacteria..etc....will produce the needed byproduct for beneficial bacteria.
Thanks for this info. I did end up tearing it down because the amount of meds and salt water. I'll get up today.

Cheers