Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 
LissaLooHoo

Super stressing betta girl. Could really use help

Hello all. I've had a betta sorority establishe for about 6 months now. My girls are all happy and healthy, and have live in tank mates of 2 loaches, a pleco, and 4 cories. Everyone is happy, and big old cheesy personalities. I have found though, that one of my girls, Wenatchee, has been so stressed lately. I've watched continuously as I'm on bed rest after surgery, and there's no bullying. I have a 36 gallon bowfront. Filtered with a Fluval 3 on a Very very low current. It's well planted, and there's plenty of hiding space. My temp is kept at 78 degrees and I have 3 crowntails, and 3 veil tails. Wenatchee stress lines just won't go away. I've tried water changes, rearranging of the tank, stress additives, and cupping. She's not ill. My tank has a clean bill of health! Thanks you guys!
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
LoriKeet

Possibly re-home the Pleco. You don't have to get rid of him, but consider putting him in a different tank. Pleco's grow to be about 1 to 2 feet in length and can potentially gobble up your other fish as soon as they're big enough to fit the small fish in his mouth. Loaches can sometimes be fin nippers...but you said you hadn't witnessed any bullying so perhaps it's a chemistry issue. When was the last time you tested the water?

Note: I did a little reading, other forums disagree with me on the Pleco assessment. It seems some people are able to keep Pleco's just fine in a roomy enough tank. My boyfriend had a bad experience with a territorial Pleco eating up other fish, so I thought I'd throw the warning out there.

Last edited by LoriKeet; 03-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
LissaLooHoo

Tested the water yesterday. Clean bill. And my pleco will be out once my 55 is cycled(: he's about 3 inches right now, and my loaches don't fin nip at all really. They hide and then do the happy loach swirls.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaLooHoo View Post
Tested the water yesterday. Clean bill. And my pleco will be out once my 55 is cycled(: he's about 3 inches right now, and my loaches don't fin nip at all really. They hide and then do the happy loach swirls.
Well then I'm stumped. Of course my Betta knowledge is pretty green, so it's not hard to exhaust my resources. :) There are some incredibly educated people in this forum though, I'd just hang tight for a spell and wait for one of them to chime in.

Best wishes with your Betta! Hope everything turns out alright.
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #5 
LissaLooHoo

Thanks!! No problem!! And the pleco I understand. They can be testy but he fits in just fine right now but I do plan on upping him. Thanks!!(:
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Some girls are just stressy. My girl Circe was stripy the entire first year she lived with me.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

Maybe she just isn't happy with group living. Maybe separate her and see if they go away.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 
LissaLooHoo

I have separated them.