Betta Fish Forum banner

Super stressing betta girl. Could really use help

606 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LissaLooHoo 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've had a betta sorority establishe for about 6 months now. My girls are all happy and healthy, and have live in tank mates of 2 loaches, a pleco, and 4 cories. Everyone is happy, and big old cheesy personalities. I have found though, that one of my girls, Wenatchee, has been so stressed lately. I've watched continuously as I'm on bed rest after surgery, and there's no bullying. I have a 36 gallon bowfront. Filtered with a Fluval 3 on a Very very low current. It's well planted, and there's plenty of hiding space. My temp is kept at 78 degrees and I have 3 crowntails, and 3 veil tails. Wenatchee stress lines just won't go away. I've tried water changes, rearranging of the tank, stress additives, and cupping. She's not ill. My tank has a clean bill of health! Thanks you guys!

#2 · (Edited)
Possibly re-home the Pleco. You don't have to get rid of him, but consider putting him in a different tank. Pleco's grow to be about 1 to 2 feet in length and can potentially gobble up your other fish as soon as they're big enough to fit the small fish in his mouth. Loaches can sometimes be fin nippers...but you said you hadn't witnessed any bullying so perhaps it's a chemistry issue. When was the last time you tested the water?

Note: I did a little reading, other forums disagree with me on the Pleco assessment. It seems some people are able to keep Pleco's just fine in a roomy enough tank. My boyfriend had a bad experience with a territorial Pleco eating up other fish, so I thought I'd throw the warning out there.

#4 ·
Well then I'm stumped. Of course my Betta knowledge is pretty green, so it's not hard to exhaust my resources. :) There are some incredibly educated people in this forum though, I'd just hang tight for a spell and wait for one of them to chime in.

Best wishes with your Betta! Hope everything turns out alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.