Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 
Demysta

Very clamped fins? What's the matter?

So yesterday I cleaned Fibber Jr's tank just as I always do for him, just with warm water, rinsing the decorations and thoroughly rinsing the gravel: the usual. Well, this wasn't an average cleaning for him. I had him floated temporarily in Fat Mary's tank, but then switched to his own tank a few minutes later when I had finished cleaning and filled it with conditioned water. I acclimated him just as I do for all my bettas - float him in a container in the same temperature tank water, empty a little water,then add a 1/4 of a cup of new tank water into his container, and repeat every 15 minutes for up to an hour. After that was done and he was back home, he immediately clamped his fins and began to breathe heavily. I was immediately worried and wrapped a blanket around his tank hoping it would help calm him.

When I went this morning to unwrap his tank and feed him, I noticed he was still very clamped. He's active, and he did accept food, but his fins are staying clamped. I put Tiny Town's tank near his hoping that him seeing his girlfriend would help perk him up, and he does still flare, but he reverts back to his clamped state eventually. I'm stumped as to what's up with him.

Here's the tank info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, frozen carnivore food (blend of bloodworms, dapnia, and brine shrimp only)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 small portions daily - 3 pellets in the morning, 3 at night. Feeding frozen food as a substitute for a pellet meal twice a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3x a week, 2 50% changes, 1 100% - using a turkey baster with the 50% changes
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Used Seachem Prime before, used Stress Guard for this change. Also added 1 1/2tsp AQ salt because his anal was showing signs of catching fin rot

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Very clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed. He was always skiddish around me, likes my roommate more than me.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night after changing the water
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? There's AQ salt in his water, but thats to treat a small bit of fin rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea. Got him a week ago
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #2 
callistra

Seachem stress guard is not a conditioner.. Add prime...
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 
Demysta

Prime was added to it sorry I worded it wrong. >.< at first I put only Prime in the new tank water while acclimating him, but then I added a few drops of Stress Guard as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 
callistra

I don't really know much about stress guard. I know there's a lot of talk of "coating" the fish and what not.. the same stuff melafix does.. I wouldn't use it unless you know what's in it.

This may be the problem. I'd do a 50% change to reduce it. Use the in tank thermometer to match the temperature of the new water (running) tap exactly to the current tank water. Fill up your changing jugs/bucket, add conditioner, then add to the tank.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 
Demysta

Alright, I'll give a water change a whirl! I'll see if that helps any. Man, I never knew Stress Guard could do that... I've always trusted Seachem's products, so I'll research more into the product before I decide if I want to use it again on other fish. Thanks for letting me know, callistra!