Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 
fuhombrechu

dying betta

My betta hasn't eaten in 10 days. It has lost a lot of color on its underside and looks pale. It just sits at the bottom and breathes. It rarely comes up for air.

When I disturb it, it will swim up and start biting/snapping at the air crazily a few times then swim back down and lay at the bottom.

What should I do? I've tried making food sink down to him to eat but that doesn't work.

He's a year and a half old and he was fine until about 3 weeks ago when he started acting different. The paleness on his underside has been a constant progression since I've had him.
fuhombrechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hey there can you answer a few questions.

Size of your tank?
temperature?
water change schedule and how much?
what food do you feed?
do you add anything to the water?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 
fuhombrechu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Hey there can you answer a few questions.

Size of your tank?
temperature?
water change schedule and how much?
what food do you feed?
do you add anything to the water?
1 gallon
80 degrees F
full change every 6 days, adding about 15% new water every other
bettamin
bettasafe

he's been fine until recently, I think its because I tried switching him to a 2 gallon tank 3 weeks ago and he was never the same. I switched him back to the 1 gallon after 3 days because he just sat at the bottom. He was like that in the 1 gallon too but at least he was eating before I tried the 2 gallon
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #4 
callistra

It wouldn't have hurt him upgrading unless you shocked him.. since you've been doing okay doing full water changes you should know how to acclimate..

How do you acclimate to fully new water? Do you match temp of new water to old water by placing his in tank thermometer under the running tap?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #5 
fuhombrechu

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
It wouldn't have hurt him upgrading unless you shocked him.. since you've been doing okay doing full water changes you should know how to acclimate..

How do you acclimate to fully new water? Do you match temp of new water to old water by placing his in tank thermometer under the running tap?
I use a thermometer to measure the water temp. and there is also a in bowl thermometer that I keep in the bowl.

I definitely think I shocked him because when I transferred him to the 2 gallon, I didn't add the extra 2 drops of bettasafe (on top of the 9 that I drop in the gallon jug) that I usually add in the 1 gallon bowl.

So for the 2 gallon, I should have added 4 extra drops to keep the ratio the same.

Then when he wasn't doing well, I couldn't get him out with the scooper cup I usually use, so I used a net for the first time and I think that's what really messed him up.

I think he would get better if he would just eat!

Last edited by fuhombrechu; 03-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't use Bettasafe Water Conditioner, but from what I found online, it looks like the dosage is 7 drops per gallon. Is this what it says on your bottle? If so, you would need 14 drops for the 2 gallon tank.

Yes, I use a cup (not a net) to scoop my guys up. I wait until they approach the surface on their own, then I scoop them in. Do you think that he was injured by the net? Do you see any signs of damage or abrasions on him?

It sounds like you may have shocked him by putting him into the new water too quickly. There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7 
fuhombrechu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
I don't use Bettasafe Water Conditioner, but from what I found online, it looks like the dosage is 7 drops per gallon. Is this what it says on your bottle? If so, you would need 14 drops for the 2 gallon tank.

Yes, I use a cup (not a net) to scoop my guys up. I wait until they approach the surface on their own, then I scoop them in. Do you think that he was injured by the net? Do you see any signs of damage or abrasions on him?

It sounds like you may have shocked him by putting him into the new water too quickly. There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.
Yeah, it looks like his scales are just damaged. But there's a big red gash all down his body symmetrically on both sides so I don't think that's a cut.

He's been fine with the water changes I've done in the past.

Do you have any ideas on how I can get my fish to eat? I just bought some freeze dried blood worms so maybe he will try those, but he doesn't even seem to notice the food even when I get it right in front of him. He just lays at the bottom and I never see him swim up anymore even for air.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #8 
fuhombrechu

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my betta to eat? or is hopeless?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Dont worry about it too much... try and do your best to optimize the environment. if he gets better he will eat... if he doesn't well....

Eating will bw the last thing on a person's mind when they're dying...
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #10 
Syriiven

Soaking food in garlic might raise his appetite -- but something I find is that cold things sink. Maybe put your usual food he's used to in the fridge or freezer just for a little bit then set it in the water aiming for where he's at.

I have a little guy who went through shock when I rushed acclimation too fast and he took several days to come around. Though 10 days is very long, I can imagine your concern.

If making the food cold doesnt work, maybe you can find someone who has frozen bloodworms - they generally sink, but may be more appetizing as well. Unfortunately, it's up to him if he eats or not. Just do your best - goodluck!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote