Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

Root tabs will be no good for things like java fern - use liquid Flourish or something instead. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #12 
RiceFish

Could try with a marimo moss ball, java fern, and some java moss. I believe they're all water column feeders so root tabs are not necessary. All they're gonna really need is a steady temperature, good light source, and nutrition.

Dose seachem flourish comprehensive for nutrition.
You can also try using seachem excel for a form of co2 just be careful not to overdose.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #13 
Tabbie82

Great info! Thanks guys! I love your suggestion, RiceFish. It sounds like I have been making it more difficult than it needs to be. Keep the ideas coming!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I think Aokashi is the acknowledged forum expert on micro-habitats.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

You can grow a lot of aquarium plants emersed as long as the humidity stays high. However, with time some plants can be transitioned over to a less humid environment.

Currently I am growing anubias, crypts, java fern, java moss, HC, glosso and pennywort emersed quite successfully. Don't do anything special, just Miracle Gro potting mix under sand and a light over the top for 6 or so hours a day.

My anubias just sent off a new leaf, crypts have been shooting like crazy and my java fern has also unfurled a couple of new leaves as well.

Just putting this out there as another possibility.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #16 
JBonez423

Are you dead set on turning the vase into a planted tank? If your 10 gallon is big enough to comfortably hold it, why not add it to the tank? Turn it on its side, put some gravel/sand/dirt/whatever you have in the bottom, add a couple of fake/real plants and voila! Pretty hidey hole. =] I did this with a small old glass milk jug, the bettas love it and it gives it an "under the sea treasures" look!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #17 
Tabbie82

I like that idea, JBonez423. I've seen glass containers in other tanks on here and always thought they looked nice. My ten gallon has a pretty big piece of driftwood in it right now and there wouldn't be space for the vase, too.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #18 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
I like that idea, JBonez423. I've seen glass containers in other tanks on here and always thought they looked nice. My ten gallon has a pretty big piece of driftwood in it right now and there wouldn't be space for the vase, too.
Lol it's always so sad when tanks run out of room. I can never decide which decorations are going to take a back seat.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote