Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Lettuce to remove snails...help please? :)

Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not...so if so, please feel free to move. :)

Anyway, I've got an infestation of pond snails from some live plants I purchased. At first it was okay, then they multiplied, and now they need to get out of my tank.

I was told before that if I put a peice of clean lettuce or kale in there, that they'd attach to it and I could clean them out that way. So, I did that...and the snails attached, but one of my fish started acting poorly. (Lettuce was only in the tank for just under a day, no wilting or rot or anything.) So, I'm assuming that there was probably some sort of chemical on or in the lettuce that was affecting my boy. (He's very sensitive to *any* chemicals or other "nastiness" in his water, he's a better water quality barometer than my master test kit...)

I rinsed the lettuce well before putting it in, and dried it completely.

Any tips on things to use to clean the lettuce with before putting it in there? I got a few of the snails out, but not nearly all of them.
Would organic lettuce be a better option?
(I know that lettuce is notorious for absorbing any sort of chemicals or toxins from where it's grown long before it's harvested and put into stores.)

Thanks for any help!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Organic would be the very best option, but if you take a dark green piece from inside the head (dark greens are more attractive, iceberg not so much but it can certainly be used) you'll have less chance of chemicals. Wash thoroughly and even blanch in boiling water to start the wilting process.

I always put mine into a small glass (like a shot glass) and then you can lift the entire glass out of the tank.

If you're interested in a new low-bioload pet, an assassin snail or two will kill them off pretty quickly, or at least get their numbers under control - but then you'd need to supplement feed the assassin snail with high protein tablets or pellets after the pests are gone. Assassin snails don't breed too quickly unless there is an overabundance of food ... but if you do get too many, the babies can be sold for $2-$3 each!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

I'm up for an assasin snail, and I don't mind feeding them...I just need LESS SNAILS... ;)
I'll look around here at my LFS's and see if I can find a couple, I need them for a few different tanks. :) Thanks for the information!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote