Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 
mhunki

is it safe to keep my fish on this?

I'm going to be acquiring a sturdy armoire/dresser/closet thing. It has a ton of sturdy shelves, that i think would be strong enough to hold my 5 gallon tank, the thing i'm worrying about is, the shelves are part of the cabinet part, and of course i would have them open during the day, but would it be a horrible idea to have them closed during the night?
mhunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 
tekkguy

A 5 gallon filled can be as much as 65 pounds or so - if you think the shelves can handle it, that part is probably fine.

I would worry about it being in a shelf with something on top, or in a closed compartment because of moisture. You'll rot the wood that way. I saw an old antique TV on craigslist one day that had double doors to cover the screen. Thought it would be awesome to turn into a tank ... till I thought about having a tank inside the wooden cabinet, and then having the doors closed.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #3 
mhunki

He is on an old walmart bookshelf, that has the shelf screwed in instead of the little tabs that i don't trust. Which i plan to do to this one if it has those horrid little tabs. That's what i was thinking, but i live in arizona, so the tank would be the only thing adding moisture to the cabinet. Would you still think that it'd cause too much damage?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunki View Post
He is on an old walmart bookshelf, that has the shelf screwed in instead of the little tabs that i don't trust. Which i plan to do to this one if it has those horrid little tabs. That's what i was thinking, but i live in arizona, so the tank would be the only thing adding moisture to the cabinet. Would you still think that it'd cause too much damage?
I don't know ... the only thing you could do would be to try it. I would definitely get some L-brackets or something and secure the shelf though.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 
Otterfun

I have been thinking about it, but got an AQ atand from PetSmart since it says AQ stand, lol.

I was thinking non-LED TV stand would probably handle a heavy AQ but they are expensive....
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 
tekkguy

I just had a thought ... if you used some deck sealer or even just paint on the INSIDE of the cabinet, and ran silicone along all of the joints, this would probably be a much safer thing. I mean, after all ... if you have a large tank on a stand, your filters/sump/etc. go inside the stand, and that's how they are generally sealed. I think this would work.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #7 
mhunki

I'm going to be painting it anyways, awesome!
I think i'm going to try it and just keep a really close eye on it to make sure it doesn't start bowing or anything.