Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #11 
Shayla Fortune

I've decided on Cherry Shrimp for now. I found a local breeder that I can buy 20 of them for $18. I'm going to also get a bunch of plants and hiding places so they don't become a snack...
Shayla Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #12 
Skyewillow

Shayla, If a thermometer sticks to your wall, the filter will. the suction cups are about the same size.

People from Detroit come out here to the "Irish Hills" NASCAR Fans block traffic on our main roads, because we're 20 mins from MIS. -facepalm- I hate race weekends
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #13 
Rosalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayla Fortune View Post
I've decided on Cherry Shrimp for now. I found a local breeder that I can buy 20 of them for $18. I'm going to also get a bunch of plants and hiding places so they don't become a snack...
I'd love to know how they work for you! I hear so many different thinks about Shrimp for tanks. I hear Ghost shrimp are more difficult to see for bettas, but I think cherry look better. :)
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #14 
Shayla Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalina View Post
I'd love to know how they work for you! I hear so many different thinks about Shrimp for tanks. I hear Ghost shrimp are more difficult to see for bettas, but I think cherry look better. :)
I read a bunch of threads and it seems that the ghost don't draw as much attention, but aren't as hardy as cherry apparently. I've had ghosts in the past when I had my 20g long established but they kept dieing and couldn't figure out why... so I'm not going to go down that road again. lol
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #15 
Rosalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayla Fortune View Post
I read a bunch of threads and it seems that the ghost don't draw as much attention, but aren't as hardy as cherry apparently. I've had ghosts in the past when I had my 20g long established but they kept dieing and couldn't figure out why... so I'm not going to go down that road again. lol
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Maybe you'll be fine then if you pick out the bigger cherry shrimps and maybe get some thick moss for them to hide in?
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #16 
Skyewillow

Ghosts are kind of iffy for the most part. They're bigger, mine were hardy (you have to rehab them after the store like bettas), but they can also go after your fish. Bettas will still attack them too, I lost 2 large females with eggs to a female betta who wanted those eggs.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 03-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #17 
Shayla Fortune

These guys are from a private breeder, so they are probably pretty healthy. I seen pictures and they look good, they are their own tank with small gravel and live plants. I'm going to pick up a them, some live plants, and decor/caves tomorrow...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #18 
Skyewillow

We have RCS with our community tank, they haven't thrived very well, I think our guppies were eating them and the fry. jerks. lol
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #19 
Shayla Fortune

Well, I bought a 5.5 gallon tank with heater, more gravel, filter and such... shhhh... the boyfriend doesn't know yet, but he will sometime next week when it arrives in the mail. ;) I'm definitely getting a tank mate if Natsu isn't too aggressive towards the shrimp, and of course after the plants and such are all settled in in the new tank.

Last edited by Shayla Fortune; 03-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #20 
Skyewillow

Good luck! My fiance grumbles when I upgrade tanks too, but I'm too much of a meanie to worry about it.