betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #11 
dbrooke1

sakura8 is one of the super moderators. anhel123 is a member. :/
i pmed sakura8 about your thread......
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #12 
kaynmil

ok..thanks...im pm both of those names and it said usernames dont exist...weird...
kaynmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #13 
Otterfun

ok, found this info:
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...on/popeye.aspx

read the whole thing, but this is a caption:
Popeye Treatment in Fish
Popeye is difficult to treat in fish because it consists of three different sets of problems. First there is damage to the cornea. Next there is accumulation of fluid behind the fish’s eyeball, and finally there is an opportunistic bacterial infection.
Minor damage to the cornea can improve over time, assuming the fish is provided with optimal water conditions and a balanced, vitamin-rich diet.
Swelling of the fish’s eye will diminish with time, assuming the fish is healthy in other regards, and is provided with optimal water conditions and a healthy diet. Epsom salt helps to reduce swelling when used at a dose of 1 to 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons. While Epsom salt can be used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums, fish are best treated this way in a quarantine tank rather than the main display aquarium.
Antibiotics and antibacterials similar to those used to treat fin rot are useful in preventing damage to the cornea from turning into full-blown popeye. But once popeye develops, different medications will be required. Use antibiotics formulated for use against internal and systemic infections, preferably administered in food rather than added to the water.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #14 
kaynmil

thanks, ive seen that you can add it to food for maracyn two and kanaplex, but I dont know how to do that... ive coated it with food but of course it wont stay on once you put the food in the water....this is the first time ive ever had a sick bett ain 14 year....poor guy.... his eye has been huge for 2 months.. he as happy as he ever was and itsn acting different but im trying to get rid of the infection and then i need to reduce the swollen eye...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #15 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmil View Post
THANKS...its for popeye...I'm currently just using the Maracyn two...but it never said in the instructions bout a filter vs no filter. I was treating him in a 2.5 g filtered with a few other meds.. now im trying just maracyn 2 in a unfiltered 1 gallon..it came with a filter but a filter for a 1 gallon is just pointless. and it makes flow to strong.. a baffle would cover up most of the surface of the tank with the filter so I just took out the filter..
actually, i remember reading instructions to turn off the filter, you might want to check as the carbon filter may affect the effectiveness of the meds. you only turn the filter back on when you are done.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #16 
kaynmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
actually, i remember reading instructions to turn off the filter, you might want to check as the carbon filter may affect the effectiveness of the meds. you only turn the filter back on when you are done.
Ya he is currently in a 1 gallon with no filter...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #17 
Otterfun

Quote:
thanks, ive seen that you can add it to food for maracyn two and kanaplex, but I dont know how to do that... ive coated it with food but of course it wont stay on once you put the food in the water....this is the first time ive ever had a sick bett ain 14 year....poor guy.... his eye has been huge for 2 months.. he as happy as he ever was and itsn acting different but im trying to get rid of the infection and then i need to reduce the swollen eye...
I have been thinking about that too, not sure how to do it.

Some thoughts, but I have not tried them:
1. mix the meds with GarlicGuard, soak the pellets and feed, but not that effective...like how many pellets can a sick betta eat??? then maybe dump the rest of the solution into the water???

2.mix the meds with a little flour with the Garlic Guard and then wrap it aorund a pellet....still same dilemma, not much they can eat....

3. put the betta in a breeder's box or small container and do a dip or bath... for a hour or so

I don't know, maybe someone can help...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #18 
dbrooke1

Quote:
ok..thanks...im pm both of those names and it said usernames dont exist...weird...
strange. perhaps try going to search their name on the top right part of the homepage. sakura8 wrote a sticky called "watch for these disease signs".
anhel123 is the other who helped me a great deal.

Last edited by dbrooke1; 03-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #19 
kaynmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I have been thinking about that too, not sure how to do it.

Some thoughts, but I have not tried them:
1. mix the meds with GarlicGuard, soak the pellets and feed, but not that effective...like how many pellets can a sick betta eat??? then maybe dump the rest of the solution into the water???

2.mix the meds with a little flour with the Garlic Guard and then wrap it aorund a pellet....still same dilemma, not much they can eat....

3. put the betta in a breeder's box or small container and do a dip or bath... for a hour or so

I don't know, maybe someone can help...

Thanks... is that dip or bath in a high concentrated medicated water....

I wonder if I just let the medication clump at the top of the water instead of mixing it if he will try to eat it..it clumps up in the water and will float but I always mix up any clumps I see....
Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #20 
kaynmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrooke1 View Post
strange. perhaps try going to search their name on the top right part of the homepage. sakura8 wrote a sticky called "watch for these disease signs".
I will try that....thanks

Tags
maracyn, maracyn-two, medication, medicine