Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

AND WE ARE SPAWNING!! I think...

After intro ducing my pair on Monday, then jarring/carding my girl in the spawn tank for 4 hours, I decided to keep vigil. After a day (Tues) of chasing & bubble nest building, things were getting "friendlier" between the pair last night. I decided to stay up & watch- nothing until about 8:30 AM when Glow entered the nesting site. She stopped running. Eventually (I have no idea what time- I fell asleep) I saw the two embracing!

It's 1:30 now, and over the past hour they've clasped a dozen times. The problem is, I don't see any eggs! Butch is picking something off the floor & returning to the nest, but Glow still has her fat little white belly. If I can't see any eggs, what is going on? Both are pre-occupied with the bottom of the tank after each embrace.

I'm waiting (yawn) for Butch to chase her off. At that point, the game's up. I can't do anything else now except watch (I'm trying to be descreet- Glow is a chow-hound and I meant FOOD, so I don't want her to distract her).

How small are the eggs? I can't see them. Is this just a game? Glow has been "stunned" several times, but more often not. Maybe this is practice?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Well here is a video of two bettas spawning.
You can see the eggs in here C:

they're very tiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRbHkmyQ10
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

WE HAVE EGGS!!!

I put on some coffee & viewed another embrace- this time I saw a stream of maybe 70 eggs! After Glow "comes to", she seems to be scooping up eggs and adding them to the bubble nest- is she just mimicking Butch and eating the eggs, or is she really helping??? (I know you can't know for sure, just sayin'.)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Females actually help pick up eggs. Though some may snack on them.

Good thing you didn't disturb them spawning. Sometimes it takes several embraces just to get one right.

Congrats. Hope you end up with lots of fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

How long do the pair remain working together like this? They're adorable, b/c they are both a good, strong yellow. Swimming around each other, they look like one fish...

My eggs were brought into the world as a new pope! I hope this is a good sign!!! (Are betta Catholic?)
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 
Option

Females definitely help pick up the eggs. In fact, during my spawn (just two days ago) I noticed the this female was actually picking up more eggs than my male. She seemed to be much more studious at picking up the eggs while the male just hovered under the next and blew bubbles.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

That's what's happening now! Glow's picking up every single egg & spitting them out to Butch, who is placing them in bubbles! A bucket brigade! This is adorable & very exciting!!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Eventually you will have to separate either the male or female, I don't remember which (think it's the female)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 
Jayloo

What do you plan on feeding?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
Eventually you will have to separate either the male or female, I don't remember which (think it's the female)
It's the female. After about 4 hours, the male chased her across the tank. I waited to see if she'd come back, but Butch has thrown himself into maintaining the nest. I've placed Glow alone w/ heater in a .5 gal acrylic tank, where she eagerly ate her live blackworms. I am not sure how long to keep her there b/f putting her back in her sorority.
Any ideas?