Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

If you go to Walmart, they actually sell 10 gallons for relatively cheap.
I spent $60 on mine at Petsmart, but for $30-40 you can get the same at Walmart.

Dividers would cost roughly about $5 if you do it right C: I had sand so I didn't need the binder covers and I just needed the mesh, whcich was, like pocket change xD

What tanks do you already have? I mean, if you're that desparate you could always sell your existing tanks?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #12 
kyle89

Have to agree if the stand comes with it no bad. Depending on where you are located i can keep an eye on my local Craigslist. If your too far it may not be worth the shipping prices. Pm me than
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #13 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Check out thrift shops-sometimes you can find some great deals in them...

If you are in Oklahoma-we will be having a big fish Auction March 23 at the Cleveland County Fair grounds and you can usually find just about anything fish related for a fair price.
I plan to, at some point. We have a few Goodwills around us, and there's one thrift shop I know about nearby. It's just that I trust you guys more for used tanks than I do others. I don't know if they've used soap on it before or not. I will look though. I don't know if I'll find anything, but it's worth a shot.

I don't live anywhere near OK, unfortunately. :( And I'm never down that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Here's an option:

Tank kit from Walmart: $38
Pool filter sand/play sand, etc.: $5
Silk plants from craft store (no metal): $5
DIY dividers: $3? maybe.
Silicone: $3
random free rocks (for attaching silk plants to sink or decoration), coffee cups for caves: free

Total cost: ~ $60
Maybe... Petsmart has a kit for $20 that I saw, and I already have gravel. If I need more, my LFS has it for $4. I already have some silk plants and stuff, but I want live plants. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
If you have the right lighting for live plants I have some starter stems and what not.... PM me for details
I don't have the lighting yet, since I don't have any money at the moment. I will PM you about them though. :) Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I have a ton of plants, if you are interested PM me when you are ready for them and I'll let you know what I have available at that time.

I also have a ton of rocks and driftwood, but they'd make shipping more expensive than just plants a lone.

if that 10 gallon comes with the stand, then it might be worth getting, but IMO, you can just set a kit on your desk at school and it'd be about $10 cheaper...

I agree with going for playsand, it'll be more work on your part, but is much cheaper than gravel, and do your own dividers, $3 total...you may want to get silicone to keep em stuck in place but its not a necessity.
I'll send you a PM now. :) I might be able to get some now.

Yeah. :( All I would have to do to make them okay to put in a tank (If I found my own) is boil them, right? For how long? Do I put anything in the water?

I know I can just sit it on my desk, but I'll be getting it before I go, so I can establish it before I leave. It depends on what else comes with the tank, I guess. If there are a lot of decorations and stuff they're giving with it, I'll go for it, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
If you go to Walmart, they actually sell 10 gallons for relatively cheap.
I spent $60 on mine at Petsmart, but for $30-40 you can get the same at Walmart.

Dividers would cost roughly about $5 if you do it right C: I had sand so I didn't need the binder covers and I just needed the mesh, whcich was, like pocket change xD

What tanks do you already have? I mean, if you're that desparate you could always sell your existing tanks?
I know. I've seen them, but they mostly have the new LED hood ones now, and I don't want one of those. Petsmart has a 10 gallon kit for $20 that I found, I think. I don't know if it was just on sale or if it's even still there, but hopefully it is.

What are the binder covers for? I thought I could just do the mesh divider.

I already started another thread for that, actually! xD I'm selling my older tanks, gravel, sand, and decorations. I have two 5 gallons (rectangle and hex), multicolored gravel, black sand, marbles (which I might keep as decorations in the 10 gallon), and some other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Have to agree if the stand comes with it no bad. Depending on where you are located i can keep an eye on my local Craigslist. If your too far it may not be worth the shipping prices. Pm me than
I'll PM you. :)

Last edited by bettacrazygirl86; 03-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #14 
Alcemistnv

I mean, if you have 2 5 gallons, wouldn't you just keep them for now?
And save for a 10 gallon? C:
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #15 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I mean, if you have 2 5 gallons, wouldn't you just keep them for now?
And save for a 10 gallon? C:
I would, but I'm not happy with either filter. Plus, I don't have the space for both 5 gallons. A 10 gallon would be best since it doesn't take up much more space that a 5 gallon. And I don't have enough outlets for two hoods, two heaters, and two filters.

I'm trying to sell them so I can put that money towards a 10 gallon and plants.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #16 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Maybe... Petsmart has a kit for $20 that I saw, and I already have gravel. If I need more, my LFS has it for $4. I already have some silk plants and stuff, but I want live plants. :(
I'm all for live plants! I was thinking you were in a budget rush. Join a forum that's for people in your local area, and you'll probably find some REALLY good deals on live plants. Otherwise, some of the offers on this forum are really good also!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #17 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I'm all for live plants! I was thinking you were in a budget rush. Join a forum that's for people in your local area, and you'll probably find some REALLY good deals on live plants. Otherwise, some of the offers on this forum are really good also!
I don't have much money for stuff at the moment, but I will in the near future, so I'll be able to afford more stuff. I definitely want live plants though! I have a few people helping me out with plants and tanks already. :) I've been keeping an eye on craigslist for tanks too.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

I have a fair number of decorations and bags full of gravel. Shipping might be pretty costly, but let me know if you are interested. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #19 
bettacrazygirl86

I just sent you a PM. :)