Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #11 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
What do you plan on feeding?
I have my DIY brine shrimp farm set up. I am hesitating to add the eggs b/c I'm afraid the shrimp will hatch & go bad b/f the fry are hatched & free swimming. It's a heated, aerated hatchery, and the shrimp could hatch in 24 hours- what should I do?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #12 
Myates

Wait until after the fry have hatched and are starting to go sideways, rather than up/down before feeding.. the BBS typically take anywhere from 18-36hrs depending upon how warm the water is, to hatch.. and you are right, you want to feed newly hatched BBS as they still have their egg sacs in and are more nutritious.

Leave the female in there for a day or two, if she isn't beat up then just a day or two to recoup, but if she has bite wounds on her then I would leave her in 3-5 days to make sure she doesn't get infected. But she should be fine - eating is a good sign :)

Congrats on your first spawn!!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #13 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Wait until after the fry have hatched and are starting to go sideways, rather than up/down before feeding.. the BBS typically take anywhere from 18-36hrs depending upon how warm the water is, to hatch.. and you are right, you want to feed newly hatched BBS as they still have their egg sacs in and are more nutritious.

Leave the female in there for a day or two, if she isn't beat up then just a day or two to recoup, but if she has bite wounds on her then I would leave her in 3-5 days to make sure she doesn't get infected. But she should be fine - eating is a good sign :)

Congrats on your first spawn!!
Great!!! Thanks!
Do you mean leave Glow in her isolation tank for a day or 2? She is a bit ripped up. I gave her part of a IAL.

So many sources say to "have the brine shrimp ready" before the spawn! They never clarify if you're supposed to have them hatched & ready, or just the EGGS & equipment. What set up alarm bells for me was a good DIY video on YouTube where it shows the shrimp hatching in 24 hrs.!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #14 
Jayloo

I treated my post spawn females like they are being conditioned again for about a week. Just a medicated gallon tank and very good food. As for feeding I would also maybe get a back up culture just in case the BBS are a fail at first...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #15 
Xaltd1

P. S. Will the adult bettas like more the mature brine shrimp?

Should I prepare a 2nd-3rd-4th batch of shrimp for subsequent feedings?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #16 
Myates

If it's just torn fins, a few days should be fine. But, nothing wrong with doing as Jayloo does though :) Some females bounce back quicker than others, so keep that in mind.. you will be able to judge how she is in the next day or two (while in isolation/hospital tank). No need for medication, just keep a watchful eye is all.

If you are feeding primarily BBS having 2 hatcheries going at once is ideal - set up one the morning before you will start feeding, then the second one you set up the morning you do start feeding.. keep them 24hrs apart, that way you have one hatched each morning. You can feed from the same hatch for that full day - it takes a day or two before the BBS get too big/less nutritious, so just hatch enough to feed 3-4 feedings that day (you will find the right amount - the eggs are so tiny so you don't need a whole lot).

To grow them big enough for adult bettas to eat takes a lot, and isn't easy - most BBS tend to die before bigger than a pin head.

You will want to make sure to rinse off the BBS when you go to feed.. everyone has their own way to do it. Some use shrimp nets under a faucet, I personally will rubber band a coffee filter over a cup (make a "bowl" into the cup to hold the water in), use a turkey baster to dip to the bottom of the bottle and suck up the BBS (after removing the airline/stone and letting the BBS settle - a flashlight laying on the side facing the bottle helps to get them into one spot).. I then slowly squeeze the BBS into the coffee filter and then let it settle for a few mins.. takes a bit for the water to drain out, but this way I know I'm not losing any BBS through the net. Then I just take some tank water and pour a tiny bit over the BBS once or twice.. once the water drains out I then use an eye dropper (cheap at Walmart pharmacy) to gather the BBS and drip them in different locations within the tank to make sure all the fry see them.
Or can use a turkey baster, suck them up, squeeze them into the shrimp net and gently pour water over them for a quicker way.
Either way works.
But you want to rinse them off so you don't add any AQ salt into the tank with the fry.

So 2 hatcheries going 24hrs apart is all you need. Keep in mind, some fry may be too small for the BBS - most don't start feeding the fry BBS until they are about 3-5 days past their egg sacs.. they either feed a micro culture (micro worms, banana worms, vinegar eels, water worms) or infusoria for the first few days, then start on BBS once the fry are a tiny bit bigger.. can continue to feed the micro cultures up until 6 weeks or so along with BBS.

BBS can also cause swim bladder issues in some fry many believe - so many like to mix up the feedings, while others feed nothing but BBS with little to no problems. So you can judge what works best for you and yours.

What do you plan to feed them once they get a bit bigger, around the 6+ week mark?

Last edited by Myates; 03-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #17 
Xaltd1

You've been a great help. I have a microworm culture, and I ordered some vinegar eels.
Once the fry are bigger, I have frozen food: San Francisco Bay Brand makes a "freshwater multi-pack". It has frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, plus two mixes called "Freshwater Frenzy" that is a mix of various worms, and "Emerald Entree: which has some spinach mixed in.
I feed them to my adult fish: I take a clear plastic cup, dip out 1/4 cup or so of tank water, and drop in part of a cube. I swirl the food & water for a few minutes., then drip it into the tank. Because they're hydrated, tiny bits of the food float everywhere. It occured to me that this would be great fry food.
I also have a culture of live blackworms. My adults would kill for them. I thought about chopping them up w/ a razorblade & offer them up. I also have a stash of several packets of commercial fry food... whew!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #18 
Xaltd1

Of course, it's more a matter of what they WILL eat. I have micro-betta pellets, as well. My bettas prefer the flakes.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #19 
Xaltd1

Should I keep the spawn tank lit 24 hours?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #20 
Xaltd1

I also want to release some RCS to act as clean-up crew- good idea?

Am I wearing you out??? ;0)