Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It may be due to ammonia build up. 1cm water in how big a tank and how many fry? Water volume - fry ratio is important. Too many fry in too little volume need more water changes.

Fill the tube to be used as siphon with water or by sucking it. Outlet must be lower than water level of the source. Otherwise gravity wont work.
Eg. Place a bucket full of water on the tank to be filled. Tie an anchor to one end of the tube and let it sink into the bucket. Suck out water from the bucket. When tube is filled, just release into the tank (tube should reach tank floor) and gravity will do the rest. The larger the distance between water source and tank will make water flow stronger.
To reduce water flow, plug the outlet with a chopstick or something. Adjust the desired outlet.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #22 
Myates

He's using a plastic water or juice bottle it looks like from the pictures, indjo..

Just has the small opening (like a milk plastic jug).. unsure what to do about adding more water into that.

That link, he isn't saying to move the fry at 2 weeks, you tend to move them 4-6 weeks from the breeding tank. But since you have such little water, you should move them into something bigger.. but have to be very careful as they are very fragile still (why wait til at least a month of age).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #23 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
He's using a plastic water or juice bottle it looks like from the pictures, indjo..

Just has the small opening (like a milk plastic jug).. unsure what to do about adding more water into that.
??? How did he take the parents out?
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #24 
GhostFeather

If you look to the right of the picture,he has another water jug with part of it cut out,I guess to put the breeding pair in and take them out.
Those are what-1 gallon jugs,if that?
Even with a small spawn,that water is going to degrade very-very fast.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #25 
Arch

The plastic bottle that I'm using for the fries is about 5.5 litres. So yeah I took the parents out using my hand lol. I know I should have a microfiber net or something to take the parents out without removing their protective slime. Sadly, my place here sells very limited aquarium tools. That's the problem.

I'm kinda skeptical about moving fries at such young age. I had a friend who was desperate to accelerate fry growth that he moved them into a larger tank and it resulted in death of the fries (about 1/2 the batch). I'm doing water changes (20-30%) by installments now to avoid shock/death to the fries.

Questions:
1) When do you suggest that I should move the fry?
2) Should I increase the water level? Prolly about half the tank at least? The more the better right?
3) Should I add in IAL's now? Will the changed in pH kill the baby fry?
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #26 
GhostFeather

That is 1.5 gallons(rounded off)full.
That is way to small for a breeding tank.
The ammonia will build up in there faster than you can change the water.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #27 
Myates

What's done is done.. I would recommend in the future to breed in something a bit easier to manage - it can be small, some people breed in bowls, smaller containers etc. But something with a more open top would make cleaning/adding water a bit easier on you :)

If you can get the temp and parameters the same you can attempt to move them.. float their whole container in the new tank for about 30 minutes to even out the temp. During that time slowly add some tank water into the container.. just a tiny bit every 5 minutes or so. Hope that will be enough to get them adjusted to the new water conditions. Honestly, since you've had some deaths already and it's just going to get worse due to limited space, etc.. I would move them sooner rather than later. You may lose some, but if they stay in the container for too much longer you will probably lose more.

If you are going to place them in the new tank, you can keep the water level as high as you wish - I would do most of the tank, if not all - and when you do your daily water changes just use a drip method to add new water into the tank slowly throughout the day. But the more water volume you have, the more space they have.. they are only 2 weeks old, so even 5 gallons is fine at this point.

If you add in a broken leaf of IAL into the tank it won't cause a sudden change in the pH. The leaf will release the tannin slowly, slow enough that the fish tend to adjust to it as it goes. I would add it in once you move them - for now you can add in a small portion of a leaf (not a lot) to give them some of the benefits now.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #28 
Arch

Alright noted. I felt the same way too. The thing is most of my hostel mates are doing this method and they made it through. Well, not of all it of course... So I really thought that the 5.5 litres bottle would be suffice. Yes, cleaning is rather difficult. Sometimes, I accidentally bump a tank abit and the fry will be shocked. =.='' maybe that's why they die too.

Ok, I'll get a bigger tank for them. So once the existing container is floating for 30mins inside the new tank, I keep on adding the tank water slowly into their container till the water flows out of the tank. The fries will slowly swim into the new container or what?

Alright noted. Will put some broken IAL's immediately. Myates, thank you so much for your advice. Really appreciate it. Also thank you for the rest of the members that helped me too.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #29 
Myates

This video is made by a member here, Basement Bettas - this is how she transfers her fry. I figure it would work good with you since you are also using a container that can float similar to this. So maybe this will help give you an idea :)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #30 
louisvillelady

(Just sneeking in a comment, Myates, love that new little one! in your avatar!) okay I'm sorry, not meaning to hi jack the thread, just wanted to say that.) ;)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta;fries;