Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #201 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It could be that your plant is eldoea, which prefers cold to temperate conditions.

What you want is hydrilla. Looks practically the same, grows like a weed and can tolerate warmer water.

I would offer you some, but I've had to set-up so many tanks lately that I had to actually buy a couple more bunches the other day as I didn't have enough.

If you aren't averse to shipping and want to give hydrilla a go, contact Dave at Aquagreen and see if he doesn't have some available. It's where I get mine from and he is great to deal with and very generous with his bunch sizes.
Ooh. Thanks for that info! Feel like a bit of a doofus now. >.< But I shall get my grubby hands on some hydrilla. ^.^

There's another question I wanted to ask you! Did you mention somewhere else that you've used Miracle Gro soil in your tanks? I've been checking it out on the Bunnings website in case I do give this NPT thing a go, but the photos of the packets pictured don't look like the photos I've seen of it here, and I'm a tad confused. >.<
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #202 
LittleBettaFish

I used this one

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...bType=products

I mostly use it just for my plant tubs/tanks, but I have had a tank running with some wilds in it for a week or so and they never had any problems. Plants seem to really like it, especially my crypts.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #203 
Sparrowhawk

Awesome, that was the one I was going to get, but wasn't sure because the one pictured here didn't have a pink packet, heh. Thanks for that. ^.^
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #204 
LittleBettaFish

I accidentally got the compost mix the first time around. I think it must just be packaged differently here.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #205 
Sparrowhawk

So I'm just a wee bit excited. Going to go to the Subscape relaunch party. Wheee! Pity the boything has been rostered on for that day, he was looking forward to it too. Luckily I managed to talk my best mate's girlfriend into coming with me, hehe. I'd just be too anxious to go alone to something with a lot of people, so it's good that I'll be able to go! Of course, this does mean I'll have to figure out how to manage my icky hair (growing out from the buzzcut, it's not pretty at the moment, haha) so I'm at least presentable... I'm really excited about learning more stuff, and seeing amazing things.

Some people think I'm strange for loving learning so much. So many people I know would rather get drunk than learn something new and interesting. I just don't understand that mentality. I went through my "party girl" stage and did the whole drinking and clubbing thing, and looking back on it, it seems like it was how I managed to get through the year after my mum's death, but I got over it fairly quickly. What I don't understand is the people who continue that phase well into their adult life. I've got a mate having his 27th birthday on Saturday night, and he's a prime example of this. Partying since underage, still going strong with the alcohol consumption. Whyyyyyy? There are so many better things to do with money than get drunk all the time! *facepalm*

Wow, I really went off topic there! Guess I had stronger feelings about that topic than I thought!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #206 
Sparrowhawk

So it would seem that I have the whole household's support in upgrading tanks (again) and doing NPTs. Yay!

I didn't want to do them before, because I do like the polished, deliberate look, but something about the wildness of NPTs is really calming to look at, and since starting my planted tank adventure, I've found that it's watching things grow and thrive that excites me, not seeing how pretty I can make things.

Also, in the months that I've been reading on here each and every day, I've been slowly edging towards doing this for a long time, now that I look back on it. I've been forever striving to make my boys' lives the best they possibly can be, and if I were one of them, I can't think of anything better than living in a jungle, with loads of plants to swim through, with clean water all of the time and as little artifice as possible.

I've got them pretty close to that as it is, they've always got clean water, they've got plants to swim through (except Falkor, 'cause he's a special petal and the fusspot gets what he wants) but I reckon NPT is the last stage of my super-low-tech planted tank journey, at least for a while. I like crazy growth, what can I say?

One bummer about all this is that I cannot for the life of me find any hydrilla available to buy. Can't find it on the Aquagreen catalogue, LiveFish.com.au has sold out, and any LFS I've been to hasn't had it. Wahhh! I'll keep checking on Aquagreen and LiveFish, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #207 
LittleBettaFish

You have to email Dave and ask. He doesn't have it listed, but I believe it grows in most of his ponds and he can sell it to you in bunches.

Grows super fast. I trimmed some of mine that grows with no artificial lights or fertilisers at all a few weeks back and it has already grown in again.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #208 
Sparrowhawk

Ahh, that'd explain why I'm having a hard time finding any. >.<
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #209 
Sparrowhawk

So today was one of the longest days I've had in a while, and it's not over yet! We woke up fairly early, I showered while le boy went to fetch the new T5HO light and sand, then off we went to Bunnings, came home half-dead with the soil, a big bit of thick MDF to put over the dresser to make up the extra 2cm so all three 30cm cubes will be supported adequately on the dresser and some bits and bobs we all needed for around the house. Then the three of us (the boyfing, my grandma and I) all hopped in a taxi and went for a long drive to Coburg Aquarium to get the new tanks. I was really glad to have an excuse to get my grandma out of the house, she doesn't go out often enough because of her knees and I was very happy to have her see something other than the kitchen or a TV screen. We pottered around there for a while so she could look at all the stuff, she got excited about axolotls and then we bought what we needed and made the trip home. But the work isn't done yet. We still need to tear down the tanks currently on the dresser, get the boys situated in the lounge room temporarily until their new homes are done tomorrow (I'm sure they'll be fine in empty tanks for 24 hours, haha) and get the soil sifted and put in the new tanks, just to get a head start on tomorrow's work. It's going to be a long night, and another long day tomorrow. But I am 100% sure it will be thoroughly rewarding.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #210 
Crowntails

Sounds exciting!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote