Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #1 
CheuSen1

does this look like velvet? help!

hi new to the site and this is my first post, I recently bought this guy from a local pet shop and hes been having symptoms of velvet. It seems like he has a goldish tint to him. I was hoping an expert could shed some more light on the situation. He darts around once in a while and twitches. Hes in a five gallon heated tank with no other fish. There are a few moss balls in there as well. The ph and nitrate levels are fine. Should I go out and find some potassium permanganate? Currently, 15% water changes daily and I've added aquarium salt as well. Any help would be great!!!
Attached Images

CheuSen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #2 
marktrc

doesnt look like velvet to me. lets see what other people say
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Velvet is defined by gold or rust colored dust (it might look like a coating if he has it badly enough) on his body, particularly around the gills. The best way to see this is to shine a flashlight on him.
But just from the picture, it doesn't look like it. But sometimes you can only see it with a flashlight unless it's really, really bad, but by then, he's showing other signs as well, such as difficulty breathing, extreme lethargy, and clamped fins.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
Picasso84

Doesn't look like it, but I'm by no means an expert... But a lot of bettas have gold coloring naturally... Just don't treat until u are sure, b/c meds can be harmful... (And PP is kinda dangerous if not used exactly right, from what I've heard, so if u must treat while unsure, it might be best to start w/ something else)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 
callistra

Velvet looks like gold dust.. I don't see anything remotely like it in your pic..

Twitching.. depends on what you mean by it could be a concern. Any way to share a video?

More info would make sure we don't miss anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote