Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #1 
valen1014

Betta floating log for broke college students

Hey guys!

Sometimes I don't have enough decorations to go around or, in this case, I have fishes I wanna keep a close eye on so I put them in bare tanks. The problem is... I always feel guilty for not giving them anything to explore or use. So.... suction cup + Styrofoam cup = problem solved.

The last pic is of new cloth (?) plants I added to the tank. These plants (plus a whole lot more) came in a rectangular pot for decoration. It was around $2-3 and my mom was about to throw it away so I took the plants out, took out the metal rods from each of them, rinsed them well (made sure they had never been cleaned with detergents or anything) and just added them to the tank.

I know some people in this forum, especially with sororities, might been struggling to get more hiding places and decorations so these are some good cheap and/or temporary things that can be used.
Attached Images

valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #2 
JBonez423

Great ideas!! I love the flower pot. Would be great for a planted tank, kind of goes with the theme. I actually found an old glass milk jug in my grandma's basement I'm using. I love finding neat old things to use in a set up!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's awesome! Another thing you can do is toss in a ping pong ball for them to play with.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

You can do the same thing with plastic tumblers. You can usually get a set of three or four at walmart for about a dollar. :) My bettas love them. :)

And I stopped using store-bought aquarium plants because I never could find ones that fit my theme...so I did what you did, and just used store-bought silk plants and removed the metal (if any), using aquarium sealant to glue them to stones to keep them "planted". :) It was 8 bucks for aquarium plants...or a dollar for walmart silk plants...anyone can do the math. :)

I've also used salt and pepper shakers as decorations. :) I've got one tank with a frog theme, and I found S&P shaker frogs that worked perfectly, and they're food safe, so they're fish safe as well. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 
JBonez423

Ahhh, Blue Fish, you totally just triggered my creative flow. I'm totally getting my fake plants at Walmart now. ;]
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #6 
Signature Farms

My fish love their little clay pots! It's a fave place for taking a nice nap. Cannibal loves his so much that when I was cleaning his tank and lifting the pot out he swam into it as I was lifting it. I jiggled it and he stayed in there, I could almost imagine him crying out "Noooooo! Miiinnneeee!"
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #7 
pittipuppylove

Great idea with the styrofoam cups! I've recently started stitching together leftover pieces of craft mesh (the same stuff most people use for DIY tank dividers) to create a tube that my bettas can swim through, sleep in, and make bubble nests in/around. They're super cheap, easy to make, and several can be made out a single sheet of craft mesh.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #8 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Farms View Post
My fish love their little clay pots! It's a fave place for taking a nice nap. Cannibal loves his so much that when I was cleaning his tank and lifting the pot out he swam into it as I was lifting it. I jiggled it and he stayed in there, I could almost imagine him crying out "Noooooo! Miiinnneeee!"

Awww that's adorable. I keep telling my mom (who seems to prefer community fishes over bettas) that you are never gonna find a community fish that will appreciate the little things you make for them as much as a betta I think that's part of why they are my favorites! they are unique, smart, and actually enjoy my silly craft attempts XD
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #9 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Great idea with the styrofoam cups! I've recently started stitching together leftover pieces of craft mesh (the same stuff most people use for DIY tank dividers) to create a tube that my bettas can swim through, sleep in, and make bubble nests in/around. They're super cheap, easy to make, and several can be made out a single sheet of craft mesh.
Thanks!! Ohhh I've tried that before, but have never tried to make them into a tube. That's a cool idea! I make kinda triangular ones and then silicone gravel all over it to make it blend in. I'm thinking of making a rectangular one (with decent height) and have it actually lift a thin layer of gravel from the ground (well at least in my head it shall look like a little hill with a secrete cave in it). But I'll have to think of a safety to keep it from collapsing or keeping the gravel from falling from the top and covering the entrance
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #10 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
That's awesome! Another thing you can do is toss in a ping pong ball for them to play with.
Will they really play with it?? I *think* I have a ping pong ball laying around!