Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #21 
Bombalurina

Nice to see the new tank...

BUT.

You are overstocked. Otos are group fish and happiest with 5 or more of their own kind. You don't have the capacity to cope with a) their bioload or b) their space demands. They are frequently wild-caught with cyanide, and it can be hard to wean them onto aquarium foods, so be careful with that, too. Their bioload, combined with that of the snail, means you need to be doing plenty of extra water changes.

This next is a very minor point, but I would suggest moving the betta hammock closer to the top of the tank so that Avalon (love that name!) can rest near the surface. :)

Also, I don't know if the Fluval has a lid, but make sure you get one if not, to prevent jumping escapees, either of the shrimp or betta variety. :)

Good luck!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #22 
Laki

shrimp jump?!? what.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #23 
Bombalurina

Shrimp jump like you wouldn't believe. It's a pain. :p
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #24 
Laki

oh my god. I wonder if any of mine jumped out. Since I moved them into the bathroom I kept the lid off the KK to allow the bathroom lights access into the dark miserable tank (until I can get a battery operated light).... Oh no. I hope I don't find any shrivelled shrimp!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #25 
White Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Nice to see the new tank...

BUT.

You are overstocked. Otos are group fish and happiest with 5 or more of their own kind. You don't have the capacity to cope with a) their bioload or b) their space demands. They are frequently wild-caught with cyanide, and it can be hard to wean them onto aquarium foods, so be careful with that, too. Their bioload, combined with that of the snail, means you need to be doing plenty of extra water changes.

This next is a very minor point, but I would suggest moving the betta hammock closer to the top of the tank so that Avalon (love that name!) can rest near the surface. :)

Also, I don't know if the Fluval has a lid, but make sure you get one if not, to prevent jumping escapees, either of the shrimp or betta variety. :)

Good luck!
She does have live plants though, along with a filter. I would just get a few extra fast growing plants and you should be ok. I love the rock!
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #26 
Freyja
Banned

I was going to comment on the otos as well. They do need to be in groups of 5 at least because they are schoaling fish. They are also hard to feed or at least harder than corys for example, which by the way also need a minimum of 5 in a group. I'd rehome the otos and stick to the shrimp.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #27 
Bombalurina

WhiteMage, otos have a higher bioload than her plants will be able to make up for.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #28 
MisterKO

hey thanks for the tips! All fish seem to be doing great the otos are eating the algae and veggie rounds, same with the shrimp. I do not have a place to relocate the otos so they are staying but i dont mind doing water changes more than id have to. I put the hammock more towards the top for avalon. So far ive noticed the two amano shrimp like to kick it together near the grassy plant and moss ball, while the otos kinda stay seperated but at night they are swimming together. I am looking into redoing the tank within a month or two, I'd rather have driftwood in there instead of the fake rock. When i do this i will also most likely get some substrate underneath the rock, and some other types of plants. Any suggestions on type of substrate and plants that would be beneficial for my setup?

Good Vibes!
p.s. i noticed some of you were saying her, I am a guy if you were referring to me. hahah
MisterKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #29 
bettacrazygirl86

Shrimp definitely do jump, so be super careful! My first ghost shrimp suicide leapt out of the Petsmart employee's net and hit the floor, and died from the impact. It was tragic. The most recent ghost shrimp I had, a really tiny one, was really jumpy! My female betta would play "hide and seek tag" (or more properly known as "get back here, I'm hungry"), and he would run and jump all over the place. I'd hear splashing in my tank and tap on the glass to make her stop chasing him.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #30 
MisterKO

Exclamation Another Update

Alright so I found some driftwood walking up from the beach after a surf session cured it all that good stuff. I got some API CO2 Booster, API Leaf Zone, API Accu-Clear, and API Quick Start. I also went out before i put the driftwood in and grabbed an anubias nana, java fern, and some cryp wendtii (to see if i could grow it). There all planted in my tank and my betta (Avalon), shrimp, and my ottos seem to be doing great! Its only been 2 days since I put the new plants in and all is well, some of the cryps have melted a little but thats about it.
Attached Images

MisterKO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, tank, tank and tank care, tank capacity