Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #11 
ptps

callistra: So do I keep adding salt for his fins to heal, or stop it and just use Stress Coat for now? I'm confused... Also, am I wrong on his diagnosis for tail biting? I thought it was shredding/splitting initially too but it became like this even after I took out all his decorations :/

Some of the tips are red, yeah, and one of the long rips has a line of red down it. I'm really hoping infection doesn't set in. Just checked in on him and he's lugging around two tiny bubbles on the ends of two shreds.

Last edited by ptps; 03-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #12 
callistra

That's infection.

How long have you been using salt? It's only safe to use up to 10 days. If it's been longer than that you will need antibiotics.

It's really imperative at this point thought that his water is kept perfect. I would do 50% change every other day and 100% at week's end including rinsing the rocks and tank. If you do it properly the way I described it can't hurt him.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #13 
ptps

I thought it was just blood from nipping too close to blood vessels. I used salt in his last 100%, so it's about close to ten days now. Should I just focus on Stress Coat then? And what antibiotics should I pick up? There's a Bacteria Cure thing in the same line of API General Cure, is that it?

Would it be better to do 100% changes everyday instead of 50% every other day?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #14 
callistra

I've had fin nipping problems on several of my boys and they were all clean tears, so IDK about red from biting..

There is no med called "bacteria Cure" by API.. I'm not sure what you are thinking of. Triple Sulfa is good broad spectrum antibiotic by API though.

Well I don't think it's really needed in this size but you can continue this if you choose.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #15 
louisvillelady

I could be totally wrong, but I am leaning toward this being tail biting. The reason is the first picture of the first tear. See how there is like two strips? I have noticed from breeding, that bites to each others tails have this same type pattern to them. It has to do with the shape of their mouths and two "protusions" or "teeth" (they do not have teeth,but I don't know what to call them) That bettas have in their mouths.

I have never had a tail biter. I do think, just from reading about it, that it may be some form of anxiety. just an opinion of course.

Bettas seem to like bright colors. This may seem silly, but I always thought if I came upon this problem, I would just place brightly colored items outside the tank everyday. I would first let him see me handling these things so he isn't scared of them, and then place them next to the tank. Baby toys are great for colorful items. Also, I use to breed birds. There is a bird toy that is a string of brightly colored rings. On the last ring is a little bell. One of my first bettas, I took that toy and took some fishing line weights and weighted down the last ring. I hung it from the support bar on the lid. That betta LOVED that toy! swimming in and out of it, and eventually he even started hitting the bell at the end of it. You ca hear bells under water. People use a string of bells during scubba diving cause it is a noise that you can hear under water. That is a simple, and cheap toy you can get and really the only toy I can think of for a fish, even though it is really a bird toy.

Hope your Fish gets better. If you do try some of these things, introduce the things to him so as not to make him even more anxious from something unfamiliar. He is a beauty! Hope things get better.
(I think I'm gonna go buy a few of those toys again for my fish now. :)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #16 
ptps

callistra: If it isn't biting then I really have no idea how Fish got so torn up ): and that makes me reaaaally worried

I didn't know the names of the medications off my head but I saw a couple of those boxes that treated for bacterial infections. I'll look up on Triple Sulfa, thank you!

I'll keep an eye on him, if it looks even worse tomorrow then I'll do 100% changes. If not then just 50% tomorrow and 100% the day after. I'll post if I have any news. Thank you for your help! :)

Edit: louisvillelady: Sorry, didn't see your post until after I hit enter! The bird ring sounds like a really cool idea, but I'd be worried about the plastic or metal of the bell leeching into the water, or getting his fins stuck in the gap in the bell. I'm also going to go broke spending so much on medication/new decor. I've spent almost close to $200 so far and my partner's getting a little annoyed with me for spending this much on a $10 fish I think! Hopefully I can get store credit back for that decoration tomorrow.

Last edited by ptps; 03-14-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #17 
callistra

It looks like tears, either from snagging or overflaring. However, this can become infected even though it starts this way.

I've stopped the biting problems in all my fish. One was from internal parasites. One.. he's just neurotic.. putting him in a 10g with live plants and playing mediation music all day finally put an end to it. The third is older and his gi tract is kinda slow and whenever he poops he bites his fins.. I have odd fish. Stress coat and vitachem also help

Bettas bite out of stress, illness, and sometimes just plain temperment/personality.

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #18 
ptps

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I've stopped the biting problems in all my fish. One was from internal parasites.
I wonder if that's it with Fish? Considering his poop issues... I'm getting General Cure anyway, maybe I'll dump that in with Maracyn/Sulfa and see what happens.

Edit: Probably not a good idea to mix them. Maybe I'll try General Cure after his fins heal up as stated before.

Last edited by ptps; 03-14-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #19 
callistra

You can't combine all those ingredients.. you can kill him.

If it is internal parasites GC will not be effective. Internal parasites need a 3-4 week treatment and GC is not safe for this long a period of time. Meds will need to be fed, if it gets to that.

If you want to try treating for this I would do nothing else (except epsoms maybe) and this method exactly:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=0#post1451846

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #20 
ptps

Yeah I realized that right after I posted. Petsmart was out of stock AGAIN for GC and Mardel Maracyn, but I did manage to pick up Triple Sulfa. I'm planning to use a 1/10th of the packet with his WC today since I'm filling up his tank to about 1.8G now.

Two days with Stress Coat and while I haven't noticed any noticeable healing, I don't see the red spots on his tail anymore and he's calmed down a lot from his usual darty swimming. He also blew a one-inch bubble nest in the corner that I'm unfortunately going to have to destroy when I do his 100% later ): I've realized though that he seems happier with less water in the tank, possibly because then the heater actually heats up the water to a good temperature at the 1.5G it was meant to heat instead of the normal 2G I fill it up with. I might stick with this water height even after he heals (hopefully!)

I've decided as well to do away with resin/plastic deco and just go for a more natural look: picked up another java fern (it looked healthy which meant it was probably a fresh stock but it had been stupidly buried in gravel, with the rhizome completely suffocated by cotton thread wrapping it up as well, I couldn't see anything but thread and had to cut it apart to free it, hopefully it doesn't die on me) and am quarantining it in a new 1G bowl. Also picked up a 6" silk plant that I'll put into the tank after the WC today.

The salesgirl apparently gave me two leaf-things of Cabomba when she scooped up my java fern, and after reading up on it, it propagates by cuttings? I can see a little bit of stem with some nodes on it so I'm hoping it'll regrow again, but since its lighting requirements are different I might just grow it in a pickle jar separately and then put excess in my tank whenever it overgrows.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know!

Tags
betta, fin regrowth, fin rot, new betta, tail biting