Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

LED lighting upgrade

So my tank came with LED lights that look great and my low light plants seem to like. Except that there are three 'pods' of LEDs one is front center and the other are on each side in the center. This causes the back center to not get much light. The pod that is there is the blue moonlight pod.

So I bought a 3 foot LED strip that is rated at 6500K and can be cut every three LED's and added them to my lid. Old phone cable comes in handy

Here is the original lighting

Here is the new lighting with the original lighting turned OFF

Just for fun here is all of the lights on

I am hoping for good results from the plants. Also I hope this will help show that LED's can be used for low/medium light plants. the eBay seller had brighter LED's so I guess they might work out for high light plants.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 
kyle89

Not a bad idea. I was actually thinking about doing something like this on the led hood of my 5 gallon aquarium. It only has one pod of 3 led lights
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #3 
Picasso84

^+1 I was too :)

Where did u get these LEDs & what is the brand name? How did u cut up a strip of LED lights & still have them work? I'm looking into doing this kind of thing :) thanks, that is really awesome, it's good to know that something like this is possible
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #4 
kyle89

Should have made a diy!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #5 
InfiniteGlory

I started thinking about the DIY about half way through but I didn't take any pictures until it was all done. So I might go back or ask this to be a sticky.

Here is the sellers store http://stores.ebay.com/the-jonvh?_rdc=1. Just search the store for '6500K' and look for the one that has '16 ft roll is 1600 Lumens'. That is the low power LED's that I used and they are plenty bright. The other listing is for more high power LED's that would be great for say 10 gallons and up due to the depth of the tank. Each purchase comes prewired with a 12v dc adapter and many length options are available.

The strip is marked every three LED's with a cut line that can be cut with household scissors. After cutting I took a razor blade and carefully cut away the sealent to expose two copper pads. They are labeled positive and negative so wiring is a no brainer. Just make sure you know how to solder small wires onto pads. I used my 15w iron and had no issues. Picture at the bottom shows the connections and size of everything in relation to a penny. Forget to mention that the strips have adhesive already on them so they are ready to just peel and stick.

The only thing I am going to do is go back and put a gob of aquarium sealent on all the connections just to make sure they are waterproof. Right now they are open to the chance of a condensation short.

BTW, Picasso84, where in NC are you located? I live just outside of Charlotte

Last edited by InfiniteGlory; 03-14-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 
kyle89

How many inches of led lights did you use in the tank. Its actually really self explanatory with it coming with the power supply an having the positive and negative labeled!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 
InfiniteGlory

I purcahsed a 3 foot strip. Yeah I thought so too but I wanted to make it clear to Picasso84 that once the strip is cut on the lines that it is still labeled.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #8 
kyle89

I definitely liked the close up picture too! Very helpful. Did you use all 3 feet on the hood though?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #9 
InfiniteGlory

yes, I used all 3 feet.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #10 
Stone

Thanks for posting this info, I have a few tanks ummmm 6 of them with led lights, 2 of them need more lights and this will be a way cheaper fix vs buying new hoods or lights from the aquarium places that when you mention led light they automatically think of 100 dollars or more
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote