Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Help w/Brine Shrimp

I know this is the wrong forum to address this, but I posted the question in the Breeders' forum, but it only has a few watchers while this one has much more. It DOES concern the care of bettas!

My spawning pair have done it! Today, over about 6 hours, the pair I had selected have built a beautiful bubblenest w/ lots of eggs! I've just separated them.

Now: I want to get the timing of raising the brine shrimp absolutely correct. I've set up a heated, aerated DIY shrimp farm, but I haven't added the salt & eggs yet b/c what if they hatch too soon?
How can I make sure that the size of the shrimp are the correct size for the fry when the fry become free-swimming???
Should I just add a few brine shrimp eggs into the solution every day?
Help!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #2 
Picasso84

Congratulations!! :) I have wondered about this question, when I've seen the cubes to raise & hatch brine shrimp in, I wondered how u would time it?! (although I am no where near doing anything with breeding, 5-10 years away, but just for curiosity's sake)

And GOOD LUCK with all your soon to be little ones! :) might have to have one or two :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #3 
Picasso84

Which ones did u breed? (color combo?) Love ur avatar btw
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

Thanks!
I used the yellow male, Bananama Jack (avatar) mated to a strong golden HM named Glow. She has perfect form, which he lacks (anals too long, scooped head & back). He is actually a fuller, stronger yellow than the pic. She comes from Taiwan, he's from the US.
Poor Jack has lost that beautiful dorsal fin! It has a big chomp taken out of it :0(
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

By the numbers, I should have 100% yellow spawn (an underdeveloped color, IMHO, which is why I chose to breed them) BUT, as we know, bettas don't read biology books. If I get any fry (anything can happen, since I'm an amateur), it should be interesting.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #6 
Picasso84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Thanks!
I used the yellow male, Bananama Jack (avatar) mated to a strong golden HM named Glow. She has perfect form, which he lacks (anals too long, scooped head & back). He is actually a fuller, stronger yellow than the pic. She comes from Taiwan, he's from the US.
Poor Jack has lost that beautiful dorsal fin! It has a big chomp taken out of it :0(
Awww, poor jack! I hope he gets better! They sound beautiful! I am a HUGE fan of yellow... I've been ooogling over ur avatar ;) lol
Old 03-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

He's prettier in person. He has a blue mist b/t the rays in his tail. That photo was from his breeder (I couldn't get a pic of him at full flare) & I was so happy when he arrived w/ better color!
IF I get babies to sell, I'll have to get a good shot of both parents. A big IF- since this is my 1st spawn, I'm worried about killing the fry. They are just starting to show little tails today!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #8 
Picasso84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
By the numbers, I should have 100% yellow spawn (an underdeveloped color, IMHO, which is why I chose to breed them) BUT, as we know, bettas don't read biology books. If I get any fry (anything can happen, since I'm an amateur), it should be interesting.
Do u have one of those spawn log threads? I would love to watch & see what they look like as they grow up.... Don't think I would get into breeding bettas, but I do find it very interesting! (I am the type, that if there is something I don't really know about, I like to try to know more.... -basically, I know I can't know everything, but it's fun to soak up as much as I can!) I would love to see all those cute babies... And possibly take one off ur hands :)

Ooh, sorry I am kinda getting ur thread off-topic! I'm so sorry! :(
Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #9 
Xaltd1

I just started a spawn log on the spawn log board (good idea!)

I'm in love w/ yellow, too. Although "everyone" tells me it's a common color, try finding a pure, strong yellow, even on Aquabid. There are pineapples/dragons (that have prominent scales- not my cup of tea). I'm going for comet goldfish color!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

I've added a "1st spawn" album. Poor quality pics, sorry. Here's Glow, new Mom (note ripped tail:0( ):
Attached Images