Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #1 
Kelc2390

Question New beta owner don't know if he's dying or this is normal!

I have not seen my betta eat since I have got him . His tail looks like its shrunk and he wedges himself underneath the shells in the bottom of his tank . And sometimes he sits at the top of the tank kind of on his side . I don't even know if I'm posting this right ! But just looking for a little help he's not like any fish I've ever owned !
Kelc2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 
TheChosenDarkness

I think I read some where that shells cause the PH to rise in tanks. Correct me if I am wrong please? Also, what size tank you have him in? Any filtration or water treatment? Any other kind of decoration? (hiding spots, fake plants or real plants, etc.)

I personally try not to keep Bettas in anything smaller than 2 gallon. I had one in a 1.5 gallon tank that lived over 2 years, but I find bigger is better when applicable.
TheChosenDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

If you are worried about illness in future, try posting in the Emergencies and Diseases section. :) That's where the sick-fish experts hang out. However, since you've posted here for now, answer as many of these questions as possible, and if you can, post a photo. :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 
Kelc2390

He is in 2 gallon tank he's the only fish in there I've been trying to feed him top fin betta bits and about three pellets a day but he does not eat them and once in a while ill see if he will eat a blood worm there is no filter or air stone on the tank he has a live wisteria plant and he likes to hide under the shells in the bottom. ive been doing a 100% water change once a week and i put in the betta water conditioner I have not took the temp or anything of the tank but the room he is in is about 73 degrees the first week I got him he would go under the shells and sleep but now Hes just hanging out at the top looking dead : ( I really have grown fond of my little Dwight trying to my best but its not looking so good .
Kelc2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 
Fishy Mom

Do you have a heater for him?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #6 
VJM

Water temp tends to be lower than room temp, and bettas need 76-80 degrees. So, he's definitely too cold.

Also, 100% water changes once a week is not enough. Take a look at the stickies on those recommendations.

How are you reacclimating him to the water after you change it?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #7 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelc2390 View Post
He is in 2 gallon tank he's the only fish in there I've been trying to feed him top fin betta bits and about three pellets a day but he does not eat them and once in a while ill see if he will eat a blood worm there is no filter or air stone on the tank he has a live wisteria plant and he likes to hide under the shells in the bottom. ive been doing a 100% water change once a week and i put in the betta water conditioner I have not took the temp or anything of the tank but the room he is in is about 73 degrees the first week I got him he would go under the shells and sleep but now Hes just hanging out at the top looking dead : ( I really have grown fond of my little Dwight trying to my best but its not looking so good .
He needs a heater to keep the water temp 78-80F & I would get a different pellet - New Life Spetrum (Petco carries it) or Omega One (Petsmart). In the mean time as far as food goes, try crushing one pellet & dropping in the smaller pieces, sometimes the pellets are too big, also with the Top Fin, they swell pretty good so he probably only needs one or two at a time if he'll eat. Be careful with him hiding under things, the object could shift trapping him. You may want to up your water change schedule to a 50% per week & a 100% per week. You may also want to use a different water conditioner, one that will remove chlorine, chloramines & detox ammonia, nitrites & nitrates, Prime is a highly recommended water conditioner, it takes a very small amount so it lasts a long time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote