Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #11 
EmmyFishyPoo

Hm...Maybe distilled water is not great? Well i searched it and i got many differant answers. Some saying it is bad some is good. I have used both tap and distilled water before (tap for my old 10g of tropical fish and distilled for my 36gal ciclid tank) I think the concern for mom is the money....shes the type of person who picks a fact to argue and wont let it go....even if she is wrong :/ I think I will just do some chores for my nanny and see if I can afford that 16 dollar heater from wallymart... And also (Im not trying to argue with all your opinions at all) But when i was younger (9...10 maybe and i am quite ashamed of this but...) I had 2 females in a 3 gallon...it had an underground filter and a few plants.I never EVER did water changes and only topped up the tank when the water got low. It became filthy dirty with algae so i got a huge (I mean a HUGE) snail. These fished lived almost 3 years in these conditions. Now everytime I bring up better health care for my fish she refers to these poor girls... the tank did not have a heater only a light which burnt out a year into having the tank. it was on an outside wall and right above a heat vent. So pretty much the only thing these girls had going for them was the space and company. Any ideas why they lived so long?
Ive attached a picture of my current tanks :)
(sorry for my lecture)
Name:  20130308_183246.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  44.2 KB
I also will be replacing that horrible habitrail and putting some new ornament in both of the tanks.
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

The reason those bettas lived so long? A combination of luck and having some hardy little fish. :)

This is a post I made a while ago that may be helpful for you: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98214. Of course, sometimes it is really hard to argue a point when someone isn't keen to hear you. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #13 
callistra

Betta's can't live long term in distilled water. It lacks necessary electrolytes and trace minerals for fish health.

You can mix distilled 50/50 with tap water, if you want to soften it. However, it would need to be done EXACTLY the same each time, premixed and everything before using it. You also need conditioner. Usually, tap water is just fine for bettas, but since he's used to so little now you will need to acclimate very very slowly to tap.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #14 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
The reason those bettas lived so long? A combination of luck and having some hardy little fish. :)

This is a post I made a while ago that may be helpful for you: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98214. Of course, sometimes it is really hard to argue a point when someone isn't keen to hear you. :(
There is something to be said, though, about fish being stronger as a result of living in tougher water conditions.

I think one of the problems with keeping perfect aquarium conditions all the time is that when one bad situation does unfortunately arise, your fish might not be strong enough to get through it.

It's the same argument made about over-protective mothers making sure their kids don't get dirty. Well, research is now starting to show that it's actually beneficial for those kids to get dirty, have germs on their hands, and have get sick once and a while as it strengthens their immune system.

By the way, I'm not proposing you keep your fish in squalid conditions... I'm just saying that I think keeping your fish in flawlessly clean and sanitary water all the time may actually be shortening it's life span.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

I agree that it is possible to over-clean your tank. However, ammonia/nitrites should still be kept at 0. :)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #16 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I agree that it is possible to over-clean your tank. However, ammonia/nitrites should still be kept at 0. :)
If you have an uncycled tank, you'll be cleaning the thing five times a day to keep your nitrite and ammonia levels at zero. That's just impractical and arguably unnecessary.

I would say clean it as many times as necessary to keep nitrites and ammonia below 1 ppm. Your fish will be fine, and you'll be promoting bacteria growth.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

To me, 0 is anything below 0.25ppm. Sure, that's not a mathematical zero, but that's what most testing kits will measure at. :) 1ppm is enough to do damage to a fish.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #18 
Fishy Mom

I'll give you a little human tip instead of a fish tip. Most people like your mom, arguing a point even though they know they are wrong, respond to flattery in my experience. So, you have to rework your approach. Try saying "Mom you're really intelligent (or insert any compliment about being smart here to flatter her) would you mind if I ask for your help. I'm going to buy a heater with my summer job money even though I know you don't think I need one, but I need help picking one out. Could you help me research & read reviews on different heaters & let me know what you think". If it works it will also get your mom online doing research on bettas.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #19 
EmmyFishyPoo

I love the above approach. But sadly it seems very unlikley she would help me because shes got "better things to do" with her time
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #20 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyFishyPoo View Post
I love the above approach. But sadly it seems very unlikley she would help me because shes got "better things to do" with her time
That's why the flattery part has to come first. I'm in marketing & one of the things I've learned is to be so nice someone wants to say yes to you. Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen...she says no.

Good luck. I know we adults can be a pain when we get so caught up in responsibilities we forget to chill out & listen to our kids sometimes. I just tell my kids that my brain fell out with them when I gave birth so i need lots of reminders & that they can't expect too much from me, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote