Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #741 
ao
TFK Moderator

Glad to see that we didn't scare you off ^_^

I would get a heater as soon as possible. is there a room in your house that is warmer than others? I myself have a room next to the door where the heating for the whole house runs, it's a nice constant 80ish. When I first got baby bettas, I didnt have a heater, so I would keep them in there.

what are you using the heat the tank right now?

I really don't want to say, buy a heater immediately or it will die! because it probably wont... but it wont be good for the little guy's health either :/

I guess it's up to you :) but for now try to aimfor 76-78 as a minumum.... when that heater comes you can slowly notch it up over a couple of hours to 82F... then go higher if you want to.

Another important thing, make sure the thermometer is accurate!!!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #742 
dorid222

Hey just noticed your response aemaki09!! Thanks I am super serious I really just want him/her to be happy and comfy!! Anyway I'm feeding it dried worms and I bought pellets today but they were way too big for its mouth! The brand is omega one? The conditioner I got is API, I already put the conditioner in the spring water so I'll dump it out and put tap, so what about 10 drops then?? Thanks again ;)
dorid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #743 
aemaki09

Oh yeah, omega one is huge!! If you can, save those for later, and go back to petco and get the NLS small fish or hikari micro pellets. I use the hikari since they are cheaper and babies dont stay this small for long, but the NLS is a better quality.
if it says a certain amount of drops per gallon, what are the drops? 7? you dont need to dump it out, just saying, you might as well save money adn do that for your next change.

As for the heater dillema, I wouldnt stress going until friday without a heater, (s)he will be fine without it, but if you have the money to spend on an extra, you might as well grab it in the morning. It's always a good idea to have a spare lying around anyways :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #744 
Dene

I've got Omega One and I'm crushing them with the back of a spoon, seems to work just fine. I was told Hikari is not good anymore, since they changed their formula. And my Petco had NLS Betta Formula and Small Fish. Should I buy that instead? What about Hikari Bio-Pure Baby Brine Shrimp? That's the only BBS I could find, and it's frozen (I think).
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #745 
ao
TFK Moderator

It should be totally fine to get the NLS grow or small fish formular. My baby got used to the size and still eats them now even though he's adult sized now. The other option is to crush the omega one. Omega one is a pretty good brand too ^_^

I would hold off on the dried worms until they are older :D especially since they are not as nutritious~
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #746 
Otterfun

While I was feeding my invertebrates (Snail, RCS, and Amano) a bit of algae wafer fell into Wee's tank.Wee looked rather "stressed out" trying to figure out how to eat the gigantic find, lol

Wee finally figured that it could rest the food against the rock and then munch off it, pretty smart IMO. I think Wee has a pretty hefty appetite.

Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #747 
Meeples

Rescued a baby two nights ago... his fins were clamped up and he was living in an absolutely filthy cup, so I decided to risk taking him home to see if doing water changes would help. Sure enough, he started perking up overnight after swimming around erratically with his clamped fins when I brought him home, and by the second evening when I moved him into a larger tank his fins had unfurled. I've been feeding him a lot of crushed pellet and blood worm in hopes of getting him nice and plump. :D

I'm treating the water with salt right now because it looks like he has a teeny bit of fin rot going on. I'm not surprised since he was swimming and resting in filth.
Attached Images

Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #748 
lillyandquigly

that's a REALLY pretty doubletail, also I'm not sure the salt is a good idea because he's young (I hope it's ok that I called it a he, since we don't really know right now)
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #749 
Meeples

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
that's a REALLY pretty doubletail, also I'm not sure the salt is a good idea because he's young (I hope it's ok that I called it a he, since we don't really know right now)
Ah okay. I won't add salt for the next water change then. Thanks! I'm guessing it's a boy, but not sure... I haven't named "him" yet. Just trying to get him stabilized and healthy!
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #750 
lillyandquigly

he looks very beautiful, good luck! I am planning on buying one soon because I currently have no bettas because my seven year old one died:( Anyways, any tips at all from anyone would be welcome!
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta