Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
KrisieWalter

Whats wrong with my Betta :<

My betta stomach is becoming larger and I dont know how you can tell constipation from dropsy. Either way, does it look like either one and if so, what can I buy to help him!!

I bought him 6 days ago.

IMAGE:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c6d0900aa...i2apo1_500.jpg
KrisieWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

More info needed. Fill this out asap-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3 
KrisieWalter

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes sir
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? THIS IS WHERE I THINK MY PROBLEM IS!!!! i was only feeding him once a day but the food container said to feed him 3x a day, so I started doing that and that is what I beleve is causing his bloat

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Haven yet since it hasnt even been set up for a week yet....
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% if I would have yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I have water conditioner for bettas, I have PRIME, I have aquarium salt, and i have Stress Coat but so far I have only put Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not yet but I am taking a sample in tomorrow

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
linity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not really, he is still swimming around a lot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? like 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet because I dont know whats wrong
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
KrisieWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 
Crowntails

I would raise the temperatures of your tank to 78-80 degrees and fast him for a few days. Bettas can't be fed like regular fish because they will eat until they literally explode. In the wild, they never know when their next meal will be. Also, we need you to check your water perimeters. They play a key role in the health of your fish.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #5 
callistra

He is on the chilly side. I would raise it a couple of degrees. This will help with constipation. I would also fast him the next 3 days to a week until he poops a lot and the bloat goes down.

After that he should be fed two small meals a day (one am and one pm) 2-3 pellets at a time, and one fast day a week.

Also I'm sorry but you can't cycle a tank of this size. It's just too small to ever establish, and , and trying to do so just stresses your betta because there is no way for him to get away from the current created from the filter.

I would remove the filter. Your bowl now needs three weekly water changes, of 50% 50% and 100%.

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

If you want to try cycling a tank I suggest getting at least a 5g, as even double what you have is unlikely to fully establish.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote