Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1 
valen1014

Warning to South Florida People

Hey guys!

I did a water change recently and every few weeks I'll test my water... well this time I tested for ammonia the day after the water change and it was really high even though it was a 100% water change in a 2.5 gallon with one betta! So I thought well... it's a strip test so it must be off. I took some sample fresh off my faucet to my pet store (I feel bad, it's the second time I do this in a week ^^;) and they tested it and it turns out the ammonia levels are pretty high (I forget what number he said sorry ><) there too. He then tested his own water off the faucet at the store and it was high there too. I don't know what's going on, and maybe it's just an error, but it seems to be a local thing. I'm in the Pembroke Pines area so if you are nearby it might be worth it to check out your water parameters. Also, our pH is super high... like 8.2 or something, did you know that? I've tested it before and have gotten a pH of 7 though.... I wonder if distilled water would help? My pet store sells it pretty cheap.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2 
VJM

I am in West Palm, so thank you for this. Tested today and my ammonia was zero, but I will keep an eye on it.

I feel like we are in a dry cycle now, so maybe the source has gotten low or changed. Not sure, just a thought.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 
kyle89

Did the pet store use a test strip too
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #4 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I am in West Palm, so thank you for this. Tested today and my ammonia was zero, but I will keep an eye on it.

I feel like we are in a dry cycle now, so maybe the source has gotten low or changed. Not sure, just a thought.
Maybe, I really hope its temporary because it's been quite a pain to deal with it this far =/ I might not have noticed if it wasn't for my little tail biter that has been stressed out the past few days. I think it is probably just near where I live...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #5 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Did the pet store use a test strip too
Nope, they use the API liquid test =/ I used the strips to test the R/O water I got and it gave me 0 ammonia so I think it's true that it is high in the tap water