Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #1 
StephandherBettas

Fin rot, but his fins are doing something strange

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I recently got a betta at Walmart. He was in filthy water and had fin rot when I got him. His name is barnabus and he's pretty adorable.

My main

Housing
What size is your tank? He's currently in a half gallon because I've been doing daily water changes.
What temperature is your tank? Usually around 77
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually twice a day, but small portions. I've noticed he looks a little bloated so I've tried to give him less.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just the water treatment and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had fin rot when I got him and now the tips of his fins look a little grey, which I'm not sure if that means they are growing or getting worse.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Well since I've gotten him his behavior has improved, he is constantly dashing around his tank, he has a healthy appetite, etc.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I started maybe a week ago, he has a few more days of 100% water changes & salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea, but I bought him less than two weeks ago

My main concern is the weird bubble thing on his tail. It looks like two parts of his tale got stuck together, it is like a weird sack or something. He still swims around but I haven't noticed that getting any better. I don't know if its fin clamp or fin melt - I have no idea what it is. I was just wondering if anyone knew and if I should be treating it differently than I am with the fin rot.
Attached Images

StephandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

you probably have hard water, which can cause fins to curl a bit.
It can also cause fins to heal fubny, but isn't a healthy issue.
look at the grey tips closes, if it's clear it's a sign of healing fins.
if his fins are indeed healing, I would take him off the salt.

Try and get a bigger tank soon, it will be less of a hassle and can cater for your fish much better if for some reason you canr change water that day. Larger tank also means stable water parameters and healthy fish.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #3 
StephandherBettas

Thanks, yeah he only has a few more days of the salt treatment. And I have a 2.5 and a 10 gallon tank as well, but I've been keeping him in here to make the water changes easier. I'm still really weirded out by the bubbly thing on his fins though!
StephandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote