Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #1 
SenorCeeb

Rossa-Mars(name of my betta) says hello!

Hello BettaFish.com from Vancouver Canada,

I recently just bought a new betta I believe it's a, fairly young/small, female halfmoon. S(he) is white for most of her body, red for all of the fins and tail with blue branching. My last Betta died after 3 years from sudden popeye diesease- the medicine made him lose all of his appetite, I think he died from indirect starvation. I'm fairly certain he had something internally wrong since I cleaned the tank daily.

I'm using a half gallon NoClean Aquarium tank with three Anubias plants. I had Trichomanes Javanicumwith with my last Betta but they kept dying in random patches, so I removed them completely.

If you guys could help me identify all aspects of my fish that'd be lovely as well! (exact colour, pattern, tail type, gender if that's possible from my picture)
Attached Images

SenorCeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #2 
SenorCeeb

Here are some more pictures! Sorry if double posting is frowned upon- I'm new!
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #3 
SenorCeeb

I tried to edit my message to add one last picture but apparently my 20 minute expiry time was up. Here's a picture of he(r) blue branching- at least I think that's what it's called
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #4 
GoodMorning

Welcome to the forums. Nice tank and I love those anubias! I don't think I've ever seen those type of anubias before with a single leaf like that. Your guy is a male delta with cambodian bloodline
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #5 
SenorCeeb

I'm not 100% sure if they're Anubias- NoClean aquarium suggested that I purchase the following. I'm not sure what I ended up with at the pet store!
"-Aqua Fern (Trichomanes Javanicum)
-Tropical Fern (Microsorium Pteropus)
-Crested Java Fern (Microsorium Pteropus)
-White Ribbon (Dracaena Sanderiana)
-Banana Plants
-Anubias"

I'm just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that (s)he is a male- I've looked at the flare and I don't think I see a beard. (s)he also has a egg spot and also has yet to make a bubble nest (my last fish made a bunch even on the first day).

The body is "iridescent" with a blue shimmer- does that still make it Cambodian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMorning View Post
Welcome to the forums. Nice tank and I love those anubias! I don't think I've ever seen those type of anubias before with a single leaf like that. Your guy is a male delta with cambodian bloodline
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #6 
GoodMorning

that pattern are all cambodian bloodline. Structure and fin length gives away his sex. Some males do have large pecs that can be mistaken for egg sacks. I don't see an egg sack with ur guy. Big ventrals is the last straw. Are you sure there is no beard? I can kinda see his beard sticking out in one of the pics. Btw, your last pic is way too big, lol, it's stretching the whole thread, lol.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

Yup - that's a beautiful male that you've got there.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #8 
Fenghuang

Definitely a pretty boy you have there. (: I've seen pictures of female bettas with as much colour as males and long finnage, but never like that. Where did you find him?

Your Trichomanes javacium, which is Aqua Fern/Borneo Fern, probably died because it is not a true aquatic plant. White Ribbon/Dracaena sandriana isn't an aquatic plant either. They will eventually rot and die if submerged in water. Be careful buying plants from petstores, especially from Petsmart and Petco; a lot of the plants they sell for aquariums are not really aquatic.

Also, I'm not certain, but your Anubias plants look like peace lilies (Spathiphyllum wallisii)...

Last edited by Fenghuang; 03-15-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #9 
SenorCeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Definitely a pretty boy you have there. (: I've seen pictures of female bettas with as much colour as males and long finnage, but never like that. Where did you find him?

Your Trichomanes javacium, which is Aqua Fern/Borneo Fern, probably died because it is not a true aquatic plant. White Ribbon/Dracaena sandriana isn't an aquatic plant either. They will eventually rot and die if submerged in water. Be careful buying plants from petstores, especially from Petsmart and Petco; a lot of the plants they sell for aquariums are not really aquatic.
did
Also, I'm not certain, but your Anubias plants look like peace lilies (Spathiphyllum wallisii)...
Theres a specialty aquarium store in Vancouver called Aquarium West. The reason why I picked this one was because it was quite active unlike all the other ones. In addition, it was the only one that had red or white of any of the Bettas. Is red or white rare colours? I was looking online and "superwhite" seems to be the hot sellers.

as for the exact genus of the plants in my tank- I'm not particularily sure as I said. I bought whatever was suggested and available at the store. The small ferns I previously owned in fact rot away although I'm unsure of that genus as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

Your betta is a Cambodian, a betta with a pale/nearly colourless body and solid fins. It's common for bettas to have some red or white on their body (like white steaks in the fins), but bettas that are completely white or completely red without iridescent may be harder to find. Nonetheless, he is a handsome fish.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote