Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #1 
Bethaliz

Weird Observation

So, I have some female bettas. I had kepts a group of 4 in a 10 gallon. I read that you needed to have at least 4 because if you have 2, one will pick on the other, if you have 3, two will gang up on one. I read that 4 was an ideal number. So that's what I did.

This is what I found out, the littlest one kept picking on ALL of my other fish. I took her out and the other 3 got along just fine. Unfortunately two of them had too much damage, never fully recovered and died. :(

So the remainder of the 3 is recovering on her own in the 10 gallon. and the little girl is back in my 2 gallon alone. This is my interesting observation.

Apparently, bettas like warm water (around 84, right?) well my bigger tank, is set to 84 and the betta is fine, loves it. My little betta, in the 2 gallon, gets really lazy and doesn't move much at that temp. Bring the temp down below 80 and she's swimming around enjoying herself.............why such a difference?
Bethaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #2 
Haeclark

84 is a bit too high for a 2gal tank...78 degrees the preferred temp. 84 prob seems better in 10gal tank, as more water to heat [my little tanks stayed between 76-80 with light and room temp alone...10gal been dropping unless constantly warmed]

84 is tolerable...but would you like to be in 85-90 degree weather every day of your life? Nice for a summer day, to go swimming every once in awhile, but starts to get exausiting.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #3 
FlaNatural

Weird Observation

If your little female is new (you just got her) it is possible that if she is super young, she might really be a male. Young males look a lot like females. Just a possibility. Also, I keep a male in a 2.5 gallon tank and he likes the water from 73-78. I think Haeclark is right about the water being too warm.
FlaNatural is offline   Reply With Quote