Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #11 
callistra

Aquarium salt is not suggested in cases of popeye because of the fluid build up behind the eye is actually causing it to pop eye. Epsom salt will draw the fluids off, while aquarium salt might make it worse.

Epsom salt (like aquarium salt) should only be dosed once. It doesn't break down or even evaporate. You only need to add more along with a water change. The Maracyns on the other hand need you to keep up on them and not skip treatments. I suggest then that you do not do antibiotics until you can be home and be fully committed, but start epsom salts and increased water changes, remove filter etc. Right before you leave do a 100% change and do another when you get back.

There's a good chance he won't need any more than epsoms and clean water anyway.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #12 
xXILuvPrettyXx

Thank you Callistra! I will do the epsom salt. I will add a teaspoon slowly tonight and the rest in 12 hours. If I have anymore questions I will be sure to bug you later ;). Thank you for your time and help. Will you keep you posted.
xXILuvPrettyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #13 
callistra

You may have missed this too: "Right now he's not fit to use to cycle. You should increase water changes to 50% every other day and 100% by week's end. Do changes like this to avoid shock."

Increasing water changes are also imperative to help him.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #14 
xXILuvPrettyXx

Got it =) . Thank you again. I will let you know if his eyes get better before I leave Monday.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #15 
callistra

Good luck! I think he will be fine, but just know popeye can take weeks or even months to completely disappear, so don't be discouraged if it's not totally gone by then.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #16 
xXILuvPrettyXx

Thank you! One more thing. After I do a 100% water change on Monday, do I add epsom salt again? Can I put the carbon filter back in since Im only treating him with epsom salt?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #17 
callistra

You add salt back every time you do a water change.