Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #1 
ZaydeeKaine

He hasn't gotten better.

I got Vladimir 5 weeks ago. His gil was inflamed once I got him home, and I was slightly lax in changing his water. But for the past 14 days I have changed his water ever 2-3 days. He has a 1-gallon tank with a light that I turn on during the day and a heater; the temperature is between 73-75 (I know it should be between 75-80 but I can't find a heater strong enough that will fit in the tank). The pH is fine, and he's eating all the food pellets I give him. He swims up and down and around the tank, swims in the "log" I have for him in his tank and even blows bubbles up to the top to make a nest to mate. He's reactive when I go up to the tank and I use aquarium salt and water conditioner in his new water. Everything is fine with him, except he still has an inflamed gil. And now I think his eyes are beginning to bulge. So I want to get some Ampicillin for him, and my question is - what kind do I get? I was told not to get "BetaFix" because one of the ingredients is bad for fish. I am hoping to get one online, or if you live in San Diego, that's where I live and if you know any good fish stores that sell Ampicillin, I would love to learn of them. I've called a few stores, and none have had Ampicillin :( please help, poor Vladimir is apparently getting worse.
ZaydeeKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #2 
callistra

He's freezing. It needs to be addressed or he can't get better. His immune system can't pick up without it.

I looked up your last thread.. how often are you doing water changes now? You weren't doing enough before..

You were told you needed to warm him up..

Have you been using salt? How much? How often are you adding it?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #3 
ZaydeeKaine

I'm doing water changes ever 2-3 days now and I've been using aquarium salt with the mix whenever I change his water. I can't find a good heater that fits in my gallon tank so I want to try using some Ampicillin but don't know what brand to use that won't do more harm to him :(
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #4 
Sea Dragon

Antibiotics are tricky... I imagine any fish store, especially major ones in SD would carry it under a brand name. I don't know any off the top of my head, sorry :( Are you sure the bulging eyes/inflamed gill are bacterial problems? If not, ampicillin won't help.

If you can't get a larger tank, then I recommend using a 100% soap free tupperware/rubbermaid bin to hold your fish as a temporary home/hospital tank and buy a stronger heater. You can find really cheap ones online.

A fish's immune system is it's #1 defense, you'd be amazed at what some warm clean water will do. Highly recommend.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #5 
callistra

You didn't seem to follow help advice before.. This is why he's still sick, sorry.

You said in your last thread you planned on doing 25% water changes every 3 days, and you were informed that would not be enough.. By day 2 even you could see as high as .25ppm ammonia. you need to increase water changes to at *least* 50% every 2nd day and 100% by week's end. Doing 50% daily and 100% by week's end wouldn't hurt either in something so small... the original suggestion was 50% and 100% alternating, change daily.

He needs his temps stabilized and warm. Right now with the cold and fluctuations his immune system is toast. If you can't get it stable in the 1g, then you can get a 2g (he needs this long term anyway) and an adjustable 25w heater like Marineland Visitherm with in tank thermometer. This is really important because when you keep your betta in freezing temperatures his immune system will be depleted and he can't heal well, if at all.

It was advised you use aquarium salt (not marine salt or people salt). You dissolve this at 1 tsp per gallon in separate cup with his bowl water and then add it to the tank. You only readd along with a water change, and then only add back as much as water you actually change.

Water changes should be done like this to avoid shock:

Quote:
The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.
If you do this for 10 days he should heal, unless the gill is actually damaged. Then it may take a lot longer, or it may be permanently deformed, unfortunately.

Last edited by callistra; 03-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 
ZaydeeKaine

Well I've been doing the 2-3 day 100% water changes now and I've been using aquarium salt.
I just called a fish store nearby (Pet Kingdom) and they said Ampicillin is banned for over-the-counter use for people, fish, pets, etc because the dosages can be done wrong and thus its too strong and kills the fish (or people pets etc).
So I'm going to the pet store and the guy on the phone recommended BettaFix which someone else told me not to use, but at this point its either use the BettaFix and hope for the best, or let Vladimir get worse because I've done all I can for him. Here's to hoping.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #7 
ptps

You can try Petsmart's Marina Mini Heater, it's what I use for my 2.5G although it's made specifically for 1 - 1.5G. It has a light to tell you when it's working (or not) and it's been good at keeping my tank warm to the point where it condenses on the lid the instant I put it on (Winter/Spring for me now, so room temp is freezing). It's not very expensive either, about 15 CAD. I would follow everything Callistra said, best of luck with your fish ):
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #8 
Snoeflayke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaydeeKaine View Post
Well I've been doing the 2-3 day 100% water changes now and I've been using aquarium salt.
I just called a fish store nearby (Pet Kingdom) and they said Ampicillin is banned for over-the-counter use for people, fish, pets, etc because the dosages can be done wrong and thus its too strong and kills the fish (or people pets etc).
First off, ampicillin isn't banned. And as a -cillin class antibiotic, the side effects are typically mild, unless there is an allergy to the class.

Second, why won't you take the advice on the heat and water changes? If you did, you probably wouldn't need antibiotics.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #9 
callistra

It's a prescription only med.

A healthy betta normal water change routine would be two 50% weekly and 100% by week's end.. this basically ammounts to a partial water change every 2-3 days just for a healthy fish.

Bettafix isn't going to help you.. I stand by what I said.. you need to warm him up and get his water changes up some more and if you want to go meds look for a real antibioitc. API makes several. Seachem makes several.. either Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa would be okay probably, but you'd need to dillute it for the size of container... dry cutting is not safe or accurate.

Can you not post pics?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 
ZaydeeKaine

So for all who are saying change his water, I've already stated I've been doing 100% water changes for 2-3 days and the water is at 73 degrees.
Yesterday Vladimir was definitely down in the dumps, not doing well. And he had mostly lost his appetite. Well I used the Betta fix and you're supposed to use 70 drops, but I used 50 to make sure he didn't get too large of a dose (which is why I hear most betta fish die from this stuff).
Well today his appetite was back in full swing! His eyes are still bulging and his fin is still inflamed; maybe it's a fluke that he had his appetite today but I'm pretty sure he's feeling better, if only slightly. Going to do a water change tomorrow with the betta fix again; so far it's made him better by getting his appetite back so I'm going to continue using it. Maybe he's not out of the woods yet, and healing will take time but so far I've seen better results from Betta Fix than from constant water changes and aquarium salt.

Tags
ampicillin, betta, bulging eyes, inflamed gill, sick