Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #761 
JBonez423

Lol I don't know if I just got lucky 3 times in a row or what, but mine are all easy to raise. I feed them crushed pellets, keep them under a warm light and make sure they always have clean water (recently started using water conditioner). Nothing special and they all seem to be thriving! =] *knocks on wood*
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #762 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
thanks:) The betta was my girl Cheng, the old one:D do you have any tips on raising the babies?
Opps, I think we were so impressed with 7 years we forgot your question. I've kept my babies in a heated (80 degrees) 1 gallon since they were so tiny & upgraded after their first growth spurt. I did 100% water changes every other day because I've read they are more sensitive to ammonia & my tap water reads at 0 for ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates. I was using the Hikari food, but just found out they changed the formula. I would just crush up the bigger pellets now.

Really the biggest thing is heat, food, & water changes...not that much different than the adults.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #763 
lillyandquigly

Ok that's good, I think I have everything planned now:D
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #764 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Ok that's good, I think I have everything planned now:D
Awesome! Post pics of your baby when you get him/her settled in. I'm excited for you.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #765 
Dene

I've officially kept Cae (changed his name) alive for a whole day! xD He seems to be doing very well, but kind of spends most of his time in a tiny corner. I think he might still be getting used to the new tank and everything.

And I want 17 million more. xD Maybe not that many, but you know...

JBonez; That's how I was! I just wanted something relaxing to do with my time... a planted Betta tank seems like just the thing! I was planning a tropical community tank, but now I think I just want Bettas.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #766 
JBonez423

I definitely recommend getting a big tank and dividing it up! I feel like I would love to do tank makeovers for people. On their budget, of course. I feel so limited on mine! But bettas are super relaxing. I love how they aren't fearful, too. Mine come right up to the tank to inspect me! They'll even let me touch them. It's a weirdly amazing trust because it's a fish and they're pretty much just instinct based and run on a flight reaction lol so it's pretty cool to have fish that totally break that mold.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #767 
JBonez423

Bettas are truly funny little things. I have 3 babies, they all acclimated just fine, ate, seemed at peace, all that. Got a betta adult, he seems PISSED. Barely eating, just kind of floats there. He's all unfurled and pretty, though. He just seems like a real grump.

Name:  DSCN2208.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  90.8 KB

Here's hoping he cheers up soon!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #768 
Otterfun

Quote:
he looks very beautiful, good luck! I am planning on buying one soon because I currently have no bettas because my seven year old one died:( Anyways, any tips at all from anyone would be welcome!
so what have you been doing with the other bettas in your album?
did you take out the metal from the decor?

I am new to betta keeping but I consistently hear that clean water, vacuuming, acclimation with WC, and not overfeeding as recurring advise.

I also read that when water is not clean or if betta is stressed for whatever reason, the opportunistic bacteria that already exist in the water will attack the betta and get it sick.

columnaris is an opportunistic bacteria that infect stressed betta.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #769 
lillyandquigly

yeah I did, Cheng was my last betta actually, I don't have those other ones anymore. fhil died last year, Ferdinand died about a week after I got him, from jumping out of the tank.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #770 
Dene

JBonez; I have a 10 gal. Feel free to design it for me. xD I want live plants, but I don't want to not be able to see my fish. xP I also plan on making caves from PVC... the ones I've seen that other people made look awesome.

Would a 10 gal only be big enough for 2 males? Or could I divide it for 3?
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta