Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #31 
logisticsguy

Its not normal to talk to my fish? My kids have grown up and I need something that really needs me. My fish need me so Im the parent to them. Its all good. I like to grow things as I grew up on a farm..so Im a landless farmer. You dont need land to grow betta fish, so i am now a fish farmer. My family doesnt get it...and i dont care if they do or not anymore.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #32 
Caii

It's aright- even my family calls me "the wild child" because I have a large affinity for animals. I've brought home dogs, cats, mice, an opposum (yes, an oppossum- and yes, we kept her until she passed away) and various birds I've found. I suppose it was only natural that I bring home a fish too haha ^^

I would take the term "freak" in stride, though. People who say stuff like that usually don't understand and don't wish to- their loss!

My philosophy is: if it can steal your heart, you can have a bond!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #33 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Its not normal to talk to my fish? My kids have grown up and I need something that really needs me. My fish need me so Im the parent to them. Its all good. I like to grow things as I grew up on a farm..so Im a landless farmer. You dont need land to grow betta fish, so i am now a fish farmer. My family doesnt get it...and i dont care if they do or not anymore.
Rock on!

I grew up on a horse farm and I miss it greatly~
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
It's aright- even my family calls me "the wild child" because I have a large affinity for animals. I've brought home dogs, cats, mice, an opposum (yes, an oppossum- and yes, we kept her until she passed away) and various birds I've found. I suppose it was only natural that I bring home a fish too haha ^^

I would take the term "freak" in stride, though. People who say stuff like that usually don't understand and don't wish to- their loss!

My philosophy is: if it can steal your heart, you can have a bond!
I think you bringing home animals shows that you have compassion for living things around you. That's not freaky at all.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #35 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
if it can steal your heart, you can have a bond!
That would make a great sig quote!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #36 
xShainax

My sister is the one who said it to me :(
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #37 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
LOL, sshh LG, I also talk to my fishes, but don't tell anyone else. well not like to each one of them, but more like.."here's your food guys, come and get them" when I feed them, or.."I'm off to work now, be good and don't jump out of your tanks"..
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #38 
GhostFeather

My Mother-in-law stopped in one time,her and my wife were in the kitchen,I was in the basement doing tank chores.
She asked my wife"who is he talking to"?
My wife said"his Bettas,he does it all the time"!
Guess I am a freak also!!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #39 
GhostFeather

Do they consider us a food source? Probably.
On the other hand I have seem some of my Males swim to the front of the tank and flare at a stranger,and if it is just me,yeah they want food.
I don't know if they have the capacity to recognize faces,people,voices,but sometimes it seems like they do.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

I swear there was a study done that showed goldfish can recognise and remember around eight or so individual faces. I know I found it somewhere one time.

My fish are usually extremely shy around anyone but me. Usually unless I make them come out, if a stranger walked into my room they would see nothing but empty tanks. This is because I am the one that feeds them and the one that they are most habituated to.

I think most animals only really bond to people because we are the ones that feed and provide for them. Look how easily forgotten old owners are when people sell or give away their cats/dogs. I think sometimes people want to believe animals are a lot more loyal and devoted than they actually are.

I love my fish and I enjoy spending time with them. The other night I was playing with some of my juveniles by putting my hand in their tank and letting them swim through it. If that makes me uncool well then I don't really give a stuff.

I've come to realise most people are weird in some way, and those that are the most judgmental tend to be the craziest.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote